• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting paid less for the same job I used to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dest

What is the name of your state? il

I've worked at the same job for more than 10 years as a manager. I got paid a salary plus bonus depending on how much more business I brought in each month. My problem is that after more than 10 years of having a manager title the company takes away my title and salary and makes up a title and pays me hourly making less pay. Noone in the whole company has my title. I was already getting paid less than any other person in the company being a manager and getting my monthly bonus. So now I'm getting paid even less. They took me out of my shop and put me in a shop that already has a manager. I'm reduced to a floor monitor which is suposed to be to only monitor the people on the floor. Even though they took my title and pay away from me they now expect me to not only to do my small assigned duties that they say go with my new title and pay but that I'm supposed to run the place and do figures and everything associated with being a mananger everyday even when the mananger that they put in my place is there. The only thing that I see different is that they no longer pay me my manager's pay nor bonuses which accounted for half of my gross pay. Is this legal? Is it anything that I can do about this or am I just stuck?

StacyLB

You're stuck. Organizations have the right to change title, pay, etc at any time as long as they notify you beforehand. Wish there were better news!

Beth3

Unless they made these changes BECAUSE OF your gender, age, race, religion, national origin, pregnancy, etc., what the company did is perfectly legal. The company can promote you and the company can demote you.

What reason did they give you for these changes?

D

dest

They didn't give me a reason. Three years before that they had me doing manager evaluations for multiple shops but gave me the same salary for it. It only lasted for about two weeks before they put me back in a shop. They didn't give me a reason for that either. I'm the longest working minority person that company has but I doubt if it has anything to do with race because there is another minority person who is a manager. Also the other managers deal under the table and I don't. I think they want me to quit or something. This job is my passion. If I quit all I'll do is try to open up one of my own just to keep busy.

Beth3

You know, there is no reason why you can't ask your manager why these changes were made. There could be any number of reasons - slow business conditions, restructuring, performance, etc. Most of us would want to know why our job title, pay, and/or job duties were changed and it's unfortunate that your manager didn't inform you of the reasons when these transfers took place. They don't HAVE to tell you but it's perfectly legitimate to ask about their reasons. Naturally, be pleasant when you inquire.

Nothing you have shared suggests your employer has acted unlawfully though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">