• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassed by Security supervisor at work!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

You can use the "edit post" feature in your original post or the "reply to thread" feature to add your legal question or concern. Please avoid "preview post" as it tends to delete post content for some reason.

Don't forget to add your state name. State laws vary in significant ways.

Thanks.

o2dvine

Workplace harassment

Thank you Quincy......
I live in Pennsylvania and work at a racetrack. My company works within the track but is a separate entity. They are our customers that we provide services to. The track's Security Supervisor has been harassing me for the 3+ years I've been here. I've done nothing to provoke this man. When I see him, I say hello and continue on. It began with him making snark remarks under his breath, talking about me to others and continued from there. My position is important but has a lot of down time. So instead of sitting in my chair doing nothing, I walk around, talk with customers, go outside for a smoke..etc. He has approached me alone and in front of others to state what he thinks I should be doing and belittles me for no reason. He doesn't even know what my job entails. It has escalated to him multiple times contacting my boss through email and calling him at home in an effort to get me in trouble or fired. Just to tell him that I'm leaving the office... etc. My boss responds to him every time that I am doing nothing wrong to involve "Security" and my job is being done properly. My boss even finds his obsession very strange and getting annoyed with me bc he keeps bothering him. He continues to harass me to the point I'm looking for new employment. I'm uncomfortable, depressed and angry every moment I'm here bc this person of power has me under a microscope with his unwarranted vendetta, watching me with the hundreds of cameras, gunning for me everyday. I'm afraid to report or file a complaint bc he will just get a slap on the wrist, get mad and come at me more. I don't know what my options are. I'm a very outgoing person, friendly with everyone including his security guards. They said they have never seen him like this with anyone else and don't understand it either. I have witnesses but unsure if they will get involved. Please help

quincy

Thank you Quincy......
I live in Pennsylvania and work at a racetrack. My company works within the track but is a separate entity. They are our customers that we provide services to. The track's Security Supervisor has been harassing me for the 3+ years I've been here. I've done nothing to provoke this man. When I see him, I say hello and continue on. It began with him making snark remarks under his breath, talking about me to others and continued from there. My position is important but has a lot of down time. So instead of sitting in my chair doing nothing, I walk around, talk with customers, go outside for a smoke..etc. He has approached me alone and in front of others to state what he thinks I should be doing and belittles me for no reason. He doesn't even know what my job entails. It has escalated to him multiple times contacting my boss through email and calling him at home in an effort to get me in trouble or fired. Just to tell him that I'm leaving the office... etc. My boss responds to him every time that I am doing nothing wrong to involve "Security" and my job is being done properly. My boss even finds his obsession very strange and getting annoyed with me bc he keeps bothering him. He continues to harass me to the point I'm looking for new employment. I'm uncomfortable, depressed and angry every moment I'm here bc this person of power has me under a microscope with his unwarranted vendetta, watching me with the hundreds of cameras, gunning for me everyday. I'm afraid to report or file a complaint bc he will just get a slap on the wrist, get mad and come at me more. I don't know what my options are. I'm a very outgoing person, friendly with everyone including his security guards. They said they have never seen him like this with anyone else and don't understand it either. I have witnesses but unsure if they will get involved. Please help
Do you have any idea at all why the security supervisor has an issue with you (e.g., perhaps a mutual love interest)? Usually harassment does not come out of nowhere.

o2dvine

Not at all. The only possibility is that he lurks, follows and stares at an attractive woman in guest services. When I have to speak to her about work related topics, he butts in with smart remarks towards me. My father and uncle worked security for him years ago and personally didn't like him but had no issues with him. He trys to involve himself in matters that don't concern him constantly. When I'm talking with someone and he is around, the person will even be like.."man, John is giving you a nasty look right now." When I see him he stares at me smiling, talking through his teeth. I really did nothing to provoke this. I'm baffled

LeeHarveyBlotto

Step 1: "Security guy, do we have a problem I'm not aware of? It seems there is something about me the concerns you".

Step 2: "Boss, why aren't you standing up for your employees?"

Last edited:

quincy

First, I want to thank you for the "friend request," o2dvine. It has been my policy on this forum not to accept these requests but I always appreciate the kind gesture. So, thanks. :)

If the security supervisor were just giving you dirty looks or staring or following you around and being a bit of a pesky nuisance, it would be easier to ignore him. It is harder to ignore him when he contacts your employer on a regular basis.

It appears that your best recourse at this point is to report the behavior to his superior. It needs to be called to his superior's attention so that the actions of the security officer can be addressed.

Yes, this might make him angry but, quite frankly, his actions are causing you unnecessary and, apparently, unwarranted grief in your workplace and you should not have to tolerate it.

That said, it is also possible that the security supervisor is just socially inept and has no clue how annoying he is.

o2dvine

Nothing to harm me physically....I don't see how putting up with him for 3 years being a "jerk" and actively trying to get me in trouble with my company is on me? Like I said, I'm now getting scuff from my employers bc he bothers them with nonsense. To the point they now "suggest" I do what he wants so they won't hopefully have to deal with him. Example: say you worked in a stadium but didn't work for them, you work for the electrical company within. Your company provides the lights etc. On your free time you like to get fresh air, take a walk or read a book. Your company is OK with this and so is the stadium as long as the lights are working. Now comes the stadium head of security who you have always been polite to and has nothing to do with your job. He thinks you shouldn't be getting air. In fact he wants to delegate your free time and thinks you should be locked in a room staring at a voltage meter all day. And he harasses your employer to the point they suggest that even though your doing a great job you should maybe do as he says so he no longer bothers them or you.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Nothing to harm me physically....I don't see how putting up with him for 3 years being a "jerk" and actively trying to get me in trouble with my company is on me? Like I said, I'm now getting scuff from my employers bc he bothers them with nonsense. To the point they now "suggest" I do what he wants so they won't hopefully have to deal with him. Example: say you worked in a stadium but didn't work for them, you work for the electrical company within. Your company provides the lights etc. On your free time you like to get fresh air, take a walk or read a book. Your company is OK with this and so is the stadium as long as the lights are working. Now comes the stadium head of security who you have always been polite to and has nothing to do with your job. He thinks you shouldn't be getting air. In fact he wants to delegate your free time and thinks you should be locked in a room staring at a voltage meter all day. And he harasses your employer to the point they suggest that even though your doing a great job you should maybe do as he says so he no longer bothers them or you.
I'd ask him, diplomatically the 1st time, what his problem is. Have you actually had a conversation with this person?

o2dvine

I've had conversations with him but he either blows off what I have to say, treats me like an idiot for asking a question or tells me it's none of my business. My interactions with him are minimal. There is no reason for us to speak unless a customer had a ticket stolen and I need to run a report to find out what time it happened. He mainly just lurks around me and watches me. In person or through the cameras

LeeHarveyBlotto

I've had conversations with him but he either blows off what I have to say, treats me like an idiot for asking a question or tells me it's none of my business. My interactions with him are minimal. There is no reason for us to speak unless a customer had a ticket stolen and I need to run a report to find out what time it happened. He mainly just lurks around me and watches me. In person or through the cameras
Have you had the conversation with your supervisor asking him why he isn't standing up for you?

Bottom line, I'm not seeing a legal issue.

o2dvine

Like I said...my boss has told him multiple times that I'm doing nothing wrong and that I'm doing a great job. He is just becoming annoyed with this guy coming to him with every little thing he thinks I shouldn't or should be doing.
He is dragging my name through the mud making ppl in his company and higher ups who just know of me, think negatively of me. Constantly making comments when I walk past him or thinks I'm out of range. Along with trying to jeopardize my livelihood on a daily basis. This current time I was on a 4 day vacation and he contacted my boss again to say he is concerned if my job is being done correctly. All for no reason at all!!!!! I'm not kidding. I know ppl claim innocence but I really am. At what point does harassment become a legal issue??

LeeHarveyBlotto

Like I said...my boss has told him multiple times that I'm doing nothing wrong and that I'm doing a great job. He is just becoming annoyed with this guy coming to him with every little thing he thinks I shouldn't or should be doing.
If I were the boss, I would tell the jerk that except for actual security issues, my employees are none of his damn business. Frankly, your wimp of a boss is a bigger problem than the jerk. If the jerk leaves tomorrow, you'll still have a lousy boss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">