• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this harassment, can he quit from it and get unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heidihair

California, at job 21 months

My Dear Husband's boss has been making work conditions intolerable, trying to force him to quit since he is the highest paid employee. Can DH quit and get unemployment due to the anguish this guy causes?

Does this qualify as harassment = "good cause":
  • Boss berates my DH, calling him derogatory names in front of other employees for things that are the Boss's doing, literally; he will ask my DH for a report and them yell at him that it is the wrong thing despite the fact that my DH has the email with his request.
  • Boss keeps a hostile dog in the office, it constantly barks at my DH and defecates on the office floor, the boss will not clean it up and let it sit there until it is dried.
  • Boss will throw office furniture when he is upset and trash the office, so bad that the downstairs’ neighbor ran in to help thinking there was a fist fight.
  • Last Feb my DH had to go on antidepressants due to the toll Boss has been taking on him mentally. He is literally sick and cannot eat at times because of the stress Boss inflicts.
  • Boss forced my DH on 2 wks w/o pay saying he was a bad employee, the co. partner told DH it was actually due to low money and Boss couldn’t make payroll. After a week back, my DH is forced off for another week w/o pay.
  • Boss has been found guilty 2x in the past for misconduct of firing past employees.

So despite the boss's claims, every single client my husband works with has given him the highest marks -- a few even told DH to count on them for a glowing recommendation. The local tech recruiters tell job seekers to not apply to this company, it is that bad.

He wants/deserves/needs a better job, but we have to pay the rent too. It doesn't seem fair that this bully of a boss can just abuse him to avoid paying unemployment! My husband has been looking for a different job for 3+ months to get away from him. His boss's actions have stressed him out so bad he has lost almost 15 pounds in the past 2 months, he is 6' tall and only about 155 to start! I am very worried for his health if he stays.

Just curious if he has a leg to stand on.

Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

eerelations

Whether or not your DH can get UI has been answered in your other thread.

Whether or not this is harassment in the legal sense of the word depends on whether your DH's boss is behaving this way directly because of your DH's race, religion, age, disability or gender, etc. If the behaviour is because of any of these things, then your DH is experiencing illegal harassment. If the behaviour is just because your DH's boss is a jerk, then while your DH may be experiencing harassment, it isn't illegal harassment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">