• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment from coworkers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adhhughes1

What is the name of your state? GA

I worked for a employer for two years before being laid off for lack of work. I had coworkers who harassed me day after day by making jokes about a certian thing that I didn't do, but supposedly someone from the area that I lived at did. there were dry erase boards in the plant and they would draw pictures on them about the joke they made. i went to my leader and told him what was going on and then went to my supervisor and told him. my leader told me that if i went to the office on him or the supervisor, he would have me fired or make it so bad on me that i would quit. i didn't go to the office because i needed the job. i found out that my leader was behind some of the things that got started. a week before christmas i got laid off because we didn't have any work. the next day after i got laid off, my coworkers called and started making noises on my answering machine. on january 1, 2003 we started getting phone calls from people all over georgia and south tennessee, because my former coworkers put a add in the paper about the joke they started. we got about 50 calls in about 3 days and about 5 calls a day after that for a week. the paper is state wide, so i got on there website and they sent me the actual add they recieved and the envelope that was sent to them. i don't know if i can do anything, but can you give me some advice. the joke is about goats.

Beth3

As it relates to prohibited harassment under employment discrimination laws, unless these juvenile idiots were giving you a hard time BECAUSE of your race, age, gender, national origin, religion, handicap, pregnancy, veteran status or one or two other specifically protected characteristics at the State level, what they were doing did not violate any laws.

Now you may have some basis to file a criminal complaint against these bozos with the police department for harassment and/or pursue a civil claim against them though.

A

adhhughes1

How and what would I do if I wanted to pursue a civil claim against these bozos?

A

adhhughes1

Okay smarta**, what I mean, what do I have to have to prove this. I am out of a job and I can't waste a lawyerstime and money that I don't have. It was uncalled for you to give me such a smarta** answer.

Beth3

adhughes, it really was kinda funny. :D

If you think the harassment falls under the category of prohibited discrimination, then you may file a complaint with your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC. Nothing you mention in your first post indicates that is the case however. Having co-workers who are jerks does not violate any employment laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">