• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment & Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jason808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I have been working in a hotel in the house keeping department for the past 10 months. Since I live in Hawaii there is a large population of Filipinos and the housekeeping department has over 200 people in it and only 5 aren't Filipino including me. Since majority of the other employees in this department know how to speak in Filipino, they do. Some I don't even hear speak any English. Many times I come in to work and find myself singled out, while everyone else is in a group talking in Filipino. I had to learn to just kind of step in and ask what's going on because I had no way of knowing what was being talked about.

A couple of the employees noticed I was struggling because of this and assured me I would be fine and fit in, they even taught me some Filipino words so I could understand a bit better. Over the hand radio there are constant blasting noises of half broken Filipino English that were almost totally incomprehensible to me over the radio. I ended up turning it off most times and not even using it because of this. I even complained that it's hard to understand what's being said on the radio.

After a couple of months and working with and range of employees I started noticing I would get comments like " how come you working here?, why don't you go to school?"; "where are you from?" "When are you going back there?" "When are you going to look for a better job?". I started feeling like they rather not have me there because I wasn't Filipino. I toughed it up and dealt with it for the time being.

Then about a month ago an incident happened, I had left my Linen cart in a specific spot the previous night when I finished work, and each Linen cart is designated a number for the floor it belongs on. When I got in the next morning, I go to look for my Linen cart and it's gone. I try asking the 3 employees working on my floor with the same duties as I but they say they don't know and just ignore me. So I start looking around, and say over the hand radio that I'm looking for a missing Linen cart. But I get no answer. No help. 45 Minutes pass and I go to the manager and tell me that I've spent 45 minutes looking for this cart and nobody helped me. He gets pissed at this, and starts going to people asking why nobody is helping me. He goes to the 3 guys I originally asked and they said they don't know but said they will help look. Then 5 minutes later one of them calls in on the radio and says they found the cart on the roof. When he brought it I could see the 3 of them snickering at me.

We all got called into the office and they got scolded for wasting time by hiding my linen cart. As we walked out I saw them looking at me talking in Filipino snickering at me. The next couple days this continued as they snickered at me as I would walk by, and be speaking in Filipino. I just couldn't take it anymore. So I went to the manager and told him those 3 guys keep staring me down and snickering at me, and speaking Filipino as I walk by. I told him I want this whole situation reported to corporate. The next couple days I kept going to him asking if he followed up but he would just say he's working on it ,and I would again explain the situation but he would just make it out like it's not that bad, like he wasn't even taking me or this situation seriously.

I called in sick most days the next couple weeks because I felt like I was going sock one of those guys in the face because they would stare at me. I became very depressed about life and work. When my manager called me in the next time I was at work he said lets talk about how you feel, I told him how I felt, I also made the mistake of saying I felt like I wanted to sock one of them, this resulted in my manager reporting that as me making a threat and I was suspended for 3 days.

They are currently bringing someone over from corporate and I'm supposed to go to a counselor at work later this week to talk about this. I feel harassed and discriminated against and no one should have to go to work and feel this way or put up with this. I feel like the people that should be helping me like the managers, aren't because they don't want to deal with a potential law suit. I don't plan on keeping this job much longer unless I can transfer to a different department, but I also don't want another to be subjected to the same type of situation.

I also suspect illegal immigrants working in this department, referred by family or friends already working in that department. I am considering contacting EEOC since there is a lack of seriousness by my managers towards this situation. Is there anything I can do legally against what has happened to me?

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I have been working in a hotel in the house keeping department for the past 10 months. Since I live in Hawaii there is a large population of Filipinos and the housekeeping department has over 200 people in it and only 5 aren't Filipino including me. Since majority of the other employees in this department know how to speak in Filipino, they do. Some I don't even hear speak any English. Many times I come in to work and find myself singled out, while everyone else is in a group talking in Filipino. I had to learn to just kind of step in and ask what's going on because I had no way of knowing what was being talked about. A couple of the employees noticed I was struggling because of this and assured me I would be fine and fit in, they even taught me some Filipino words so I could understand a bit better. Over the hand radio there are constant blasting noises of half broken Filipino English that were almost totally incomprehensible to me over the radio. I ended up turning it off most times and not even using it because of this. I even complained that it's hard to understand what's being said on the radio. After a couple of months and working with and range of employees I started noticing I would get comments like " how come you working here?, why don't you go to school?"; "where are you from?" "When are you going back there?" "When are you going to look for a better job?". I started feeling like they rather not have me there because I wasn't Filipino. I toughed it up and dealt with it for the time being. Then about a month ago an incident happened, I had left my Linen cart in a specific spot the previous night when I finished work, and each Linen cart is designated a number for the floor it belongs on. When I got in the next morning, I go to look for my Linen cart and it's gone. I try asking the 3 employees working on my floor with the same duties as I but they say they don't know and just ignore me. So I start looking around, and say over the hand radio that I'm looking for a missing Linen cart. But I get no answer. No help. 45 Minutes pass and I go to the manager and tell me that I've spent 45 minutes looking for this cart and nobody helped me. He gets pissed at this, and starts going to people asking why nobody is helping me. He goes to the 3 guys I originally asked and they said they don't know but said they will help look. Then 5 minutes later one of them calls in on the radio and says they found the cart on the roof. When he brought it I could see the 3 of them snickering at me. We all got called into the office and they got scolded for wasting time by hiding my linen cart. As we walked out I saw them looking at me talking in Filipino snickering at me. The next couple days this continued as they snickered at me as I would walk by speaking in Filipino. I just couldn't take it anymore. So I went to the manager and told him those 3 guys keep staring at me and snickering at me, and speaking Filipino as I walk by. I told him I want this whole situation reported to corporate. The next couple days I kept going to him asking if he followed up but he would just say he's working on it ,and I would again explain the situation but he would just make it out like it's not that bad, like he wasn't even taking me or this situation seriously. I called in sick most days the next couple weeks because I felt like I was going sock one of those guys in the face because they would stare at me. I became very depressed about life and work. When my manager called me in the next time I was at work he said lets talk about how you feel, I told him how I felt, I also made the mistake of saying I felt like I wanted to sock one of them, this resulted in my manager reporting that as me making a threat and I was suspended for 3 days. They are currently bringing someone over from corporate and I'm supposed to go to a counselor later this week to talk about this. I feel harassed and discriminated against and no one should have to go to work and feel this way or put up with this. I feel like the people that should be helping me like the managers, aren't because they don't want to deal with a potential law suit. I don't plan on keeping this job much longer unless I can transfer to a different department, but I also don't want another to be subjected to the same type of situation. I also suspect illegal immigrants working in this department, referred by family or friends already working in that department. I am considering contacting EEOC since there is a lack of seriousness by my managers towards this situation. Is there anything I can do legally against what has happened to me?

Which law do you believe has been broken?

Jason808

Which law do you believe has been broken?

I believe I'm not treated equal in the workplace, and have had to endure unnecessary offensive conduct during continued employment creating a hostile environment, as well as causing me emotional and mental stress because of the managers lack of attention to the situation. I enjoyed my job and now when I go in I feel constantly anxious and on edge. I also think I am being made fun of for being the "overweight white guy" but have no way to prove this because I can't understand Filipino. I also believe they prefer to hire Filipino's in housekeeping and engineering and that the Filipino's working in these departments prefer other Filipinos to work there, considering that other departments such as recreation and security have only 1 or 2 Filipino workers.

Proserpina

I believe I'm not treated equal in the workplace, and have had to endure unnecessary offensive conduct during continued employment creating a hostile environment, as well as causing me emotional and mental stress because of the managers lack of attention to the situation. I enjoyed my job and now when I go in I feel constantly anxious and on edge. I also think I am being made fun of for being the "overweight white guy" but have no way to prove this because I can't understand Filipino. I also believe they prefer to hire Filipino's in housekeeping and engineering and that the Filipino's working in these departments prefer other Filipinos to work there, considering that other departments such as recreation and security have only 1 or 2 Filipino workers.

Okay.

Couple of things.

1. There is no law saying employees must be treated the same way.

2. "Hostile Work Environment" has a very specific meaning.

Jason808

Okay.

Couple of things.

1. There is no law saying employees must be treated the same way.

2. "Hostile Work Environment" has a very specific meaning.
I understand, thank you for your response.
I feel my singling out and excluding of me is un equal treatment and is discrimination against me because the groups reaction to me(or lack there of) influences my actual behavior towards them, which restricts me from having the opportunity and privilege of doing my job to its fullest potential.

I also understand I may be being a bit over sensitive , am going to see a counselor outside of work to talk about this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
White space and paragraphs are your friends. I'm not going to even try to read that unbroken block of text.

So tell me, briefly and succinctly, in what way are you being singled out? What treatment are you receiving or not receiving that you can specifically tie to your national origin?

Jason808

White space and paragraphs are your friends. I'm not going to even try to read that unbroken block of text.

So tell me, briefly and succinctly, in what way are you being singled out? What treatment are you receiving or not receiving that you can specifically tie to your national origin?

Im the only Caucasian in my department with over 200 Filipinos. They constantly speak their foreign language at work which I know isn't illegal, but when I come in to work to prepare for the day they are all in their own cliques talking in Filipino while I stand by myself, and even if I try to jump in to ask what's going with work I seldom get response. I actually had to learn a bit of Filipino because of this to understand what they were saying. They also give comments to me asking why don't I go back to school or find a why I don't find better job than cleaning.

Last month 3 guys took my Linin cart and hid it and got away with just a slap on the wrist and now snicker and stare me down every day at work since knowing they got away with pissing me off, and speak in Filipino as I walk by, which has made me become very uncomfortable and anxious at work. I told my manger I cant work with those guys but he still works me with them.

This has effected my performance at work, and my opportunity and privilege to be a part of the working team since I'm almost often left in the dark to figure things out for myself. I get the vibe from the other employees in this department that they rather have another Filipino here than me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, since you already know that it's not illegal for them to be speaking in a language you don't understand, that's a no-starter from day one.

And your evidence that they are asking you why you don't find a better job or playing pranks on you BECAUSE you are not Filipino?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">