• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment, Slander, Sexual Orientation Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ronnicee

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

HAVE RECIEVED 3 HATE NOTES AT WORK REGARDING SEXUALITY(LESBIAN) ONE GIVEN TO MYSELF BY A MANAGEMENT PERSON THE OTHER TWO LEFT ON MY DESK. JUST RECENTLY WAS SUBJECTED TO VERBAL ABRUSE REGARDING SEXUALITY. COMPLAINED ABOUT IT IN A LETTER . AFTER COMPLAINING I STARTED TO GET HARASSED BY SUPERVISOR WHICH INCLUDES BEING GIVEN A LETTER STATING THAT I FALSIFIED INFORMATION AND VIOLATED CODES OF ETHINCS WHICH IS UNTRUE AND CAN BE PROVED ACCORDING TO THE COMPANYS OWN POLICY. NO INVESTIGATION WAS EVER DONE REGARDING THE HATE NOTES. JUST RECENTLY ANOTHER CO WORKER CAR WAS KEYED WITH THE WORDS "DIE DYKE AND A SWASTICA PUT ON IT. WHAT CAN I DO REGARDING THIS HARASSMENT WITHOUT AVING TO QUIT MY JOB. MOS ATTORNEYS WANT YOU TO QUIT YOUR JOB. DO I ALSO HAVE A LIBEL AND SLANDER SUIT REGARDING THE LETTER GIVEN TO ME

Last edited:

Beth3

Please turn off the caps lock - it's difficult to read.

Have you notified someone in human resources or senior management at your company about this harassment? It's not clear whether you've spoken to anyone about what's taking place beyond your supervisor.

And where did you get the idea most attornies want you to quit your job before they'll represent you on a discrimination complaint? I don't believe that to be the case at all.

Please respond and then I or someone can offer advice on how to proceed.

R

Ronnicee

Yes I have spoken to human resources . The three notes to myself were never investigated. I have complained of my supervisor in to letters written to the assistant director. They held an in house company investigation inwhich the company never finds anything wrong with the company and the problem is always overlooked. I made the statement regarding the attorneys asking to quit your job because i have spoken with a few who statement that i really dont have anyhing against the company or it isn't much they can do while i am still working there. Why do I have to quit my job to get justice

Beth3

The attornies you've spoken to are right. You don't have much of a case at this point and I expect that what they meant when saying there isn't much they can do while you are still working there is that you haven't been fired due to your sexual orientation or in retalliation for making a complaint. Nor has the situation risen to the level where a reasonable person would be forced to quit (constructive discharge.)

Even if you are dissatisfied with the employer's response to your complaint, if the harassment has stopped, they've fulfilled their obligation. If it starts up again, then I suggest you contact your State's equal rights division and see if you can file a complaint.

For private sector employees, there is no legal protection from discrimination due to sexual orientation under federal law. Many States have laws prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation, so that will be your only potential recourse. You and any other co-workers who are being harassed because you are lesbian may contact the State together if you wish and file a joint or concurrent complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">