• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment in the workplace from ex-boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobspero

ahhhhhh....your little princess would be better off if she dealt with this instead of Daddy swooping in to the rescue. Furthermore, you weren't there, and only have princess' version of events. You have NO CLUE what actually happened, NONE.

Oh, and blaring your opinion of the environment of the pool, to the patrons of the pool, could backfire, you dolt!
You are right, however she was the one who used the laptop this morning and wrote what started the thread, my frustration is that because unethical behavior does not break the law, that the opinion of someone is that it is perfectly fine was my frustration.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not a fake story, either one of them! I had my daughter post what happened to her yesterday because this did happen.... I can see where you are coming from but I have better things to do with my weekend than make up fake stories for other entertainment. Really what is there to gain, you need to have a bit more faith in people and not everyone is cynical....
People who share accounts lose credibility. It makes you appear to be a liar. And yes, many people who post to legal forums are liars. They misrepresent things in order to get a better outcome.

I'mTheFather

I work in a company of 23,000+ employees, I have seen people get separated from the organization for criticizing someones ethnic background, no way would that be tolerated in my workplace even if once! What precedence are you setting that being 22,999 people called the same person a whore once is not sexual harassment?
The key word being "legally".

Look up the definition of harassment.

I'mTheFather

You know, any credibility your daughter may have had if she had created her own account and posted the info herself, is lost... Simply by posting under yours.

bobspero

You know, any credibility your daughter may have had if she had created her own account and posted the info herself, is lost... Simply by posting under yours.
I only followed up to know what her rights were, everyone is quick to think this is to jump right into a lawsuit and get paid! What are her rights if it continues.

btw, wiki on harassment

In the legal sense, it is intentional behavior which is found threatening or disturbing. Sexual harassment refers to persistent and unwanted sexual advances, typically in the workplace, where the consequences of refusing are potentially very disadvantageous to the victim.

Nothing indicating there is a quantifiable rule where it is only violation of the law if occurs once.

In addition do a word find and tell me where she even mentioned in her initial post the words "Sexual harassment"?

So the initial post was harassment "intentional behavior which is found threatening or disturbing"

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

I only followed up to know what her rights were, everyone is quick to think this is to jump right into a lawsuit and get paid! What are her rights if it continues.

btw, wiki on harassment

In the legal sense, it is intentional behavior which is found threatening or disturbing. Sexual harassment refers to persistent and unwanted sexual advances, typically in the workplace, where the consequences of refusing are potentially very disadvantageous to the victim.

Nothing indicating there is a quantifiable rule where it is only violation of the law if occurs once.
Do you know the meaning of the bolded word? Look it up.
In addition do word find and tell me where she even mentioned in here initial post?
Huh???

I'mTheFather

For your reading enjoyment:
http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/harassment.cfm
Harassment is a form of employment discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).

Harassment is unwelcome conduct that is based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. Harassment becomes unlawful where 1) enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or 2) the conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive. Anti-discrimination laws also prohibit harassment against individuals in retaliation for filing a discrimination charge, testifying, or participating in any way in an investigation, proceeding, or lawsuit under these laws; or opposing employment practices that they reasonably believe discriminate against individuals, in violation of these laws.

Petty slights, annoyances, and isolated incidents (unless extremely serious) will not rise to the level of illegality. To be unlawful, the conduct must create a work environment that would be intimidating, hostile, or offensive to reasonable people.
Look, I get that you're upset about what happened to your daughter, truly I do. However, you cannot make something illegal just because it offended her.

bobspero

Do you know the meaning of the bolded word? Look it up.
Huh???
Point being she started the thread on harassment and bullying, not pertaining to the original thread but to say something is not Sexual harassment because it happened once is NOT true, you can interpret persistent however you see fit to satisfy your standpoint. Tomorrow when you are in the office grab another employees ass and tell HR it was fine because you only did once

eerelations

OP, I have extensive legal training and work experience in human rights and harassment law in both the United States and Canada. In addition, I have been training employees, managers and executives in employment and harassment law for 25+ years. I am paid well for this because I have a solid international reputation for knowing pretty much everything there is to know about this stuff.

Yet you seem to think that you know more about this stuff than I do. I find this to be somewhat incredible, however, I will be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if you could please elaborate on your training and work experience in this area.

Thank you.

I'mTheFather

There are not a myriad of ways to interpret the word "persistent". To my knowledge, it has but one meaning. Further, your belief that only sexual harassment must be persistent and other types need not because wikipedia worded it that way, defies logic.

At this point, you ought to engage the services of an attorney, because I doubt you'll believe anything here. Perhaps if you have to pay for the advice...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not think that calling someone a whore is sexual harassment?
I have not finished reading this thread so if this has already been addressed, I'm sorry. But no, as a matter of fact, a SINGLE INSTANCE of calling someone a whore is not sexual harassment.

eerelations

Especially when the person being called the name had pics of naked men on a cellphone she left unlocked and lying around the workplace for anyone to see.

There are no laws against bullying and rude behaviour in the workplace. And I don't think what you've experienced rises to the level of sexual harassment (which is illegal). So unfortunately you don't have any legal recourse at this point.

(As an aside, I'm just curious about this, what do you mean by "now exposed athletes" - does this mean you have nude pictures of athletes on your phone? Not that it makes any difference to your situation, again I'm just curious.)
"There are no laws against bullying..."

I disagree with you! If bullying rises to the level of physical abuse in the workplace, there are Federal and/or state laws that protect against an unsafe workplace.

By the way, although Merida is in Mexico, its proper location is considered, Merida, Ucatan! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">