• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

caremit

What is the name of your state? maryland
I have been harrassed by my supervisor since day one of his arrival to my department. Almost walked off the job because of his harrassment, his manager pleading with me to not resign and that she would talk to him about his superior actions. The harrassment did not stop. Other employees did not get reprimanded like I did. To avoid conflcts with them he would give me (the more timid) a reprimand. Some few months ago a fellow employee in the office made a comment that if I was to blow my supervisor I would get favors, my supervisor was present and did not reprimand her for the comment, instead he smiled as if in agreement. I walked away shocked. I had a fear at work continually of being reprimanded and what thiat statement by a fellow employee (without reprimand) ment. I was recently terminated because of a no show or call to my supervisor; maryland was under state of emergency..bad snow storm. there were other employees who did not comply with the snow policy and they are still employeed.
what do i do.. I'm scared and hurt.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You need to be a little more clear about what your supervisor has been doing. What a lot of people consider harassment is not, in the legal sense. Can you give us more details?

As far as the snow day is concerned, did you call the office to say you were not coming in? Did someone else call you to say the office was closed? Or did you just hear that there was a state of emergency and decided that meant you could stay home without calling? (I'm not making judgements, I'm asking a question.) Is it possible that the others who were not terminated may have violated the policy, but still kept in contact?

C

caremit

thank you for responding:
to be clearer in regards to harrassment: not dotting my I's or crossing my T's. I work hard , and I'm not being bias. I do over and above duty call, I give 100 %., when 99% was given, I was reprimanded for the 1%. He seemed to be watching for mistakes. If another co-worker would complain about doing something he would have me do it. A co-worker was asked to transport a patient,her response was "I'm not transporting that fat bitch she'll hurt my back", he heard it, and had me transport... I never (and again not being bias) complained or brought up these issues at meetings, I am timid. I cried alot when I drove home after a day at work and even infront of him had teared filled eyes when I was being written up by him for not doing something that could have been remedied if SOMEONE else would have done the work instead of complaining about it. My closest co-workers were and still are perplexed at the way he treated issues. For reasons besides the way they seen I was treated, these co-workers have resigned. My goal was to get out of there and he knew that, i was awaiting to place a bid at another hospital when a job became available.. ironically an opened postion was available at the time of my termination..and it damaged big time my chances of transferring.
The snow event: there were other employees through out the hospital who did not follow the rules or called in and they are still employed and or received only 2 day suspension. my concern and reason for not calling him, was that he would send a four wheel drive to get me, because he knew I can handle the work independently and he would have little compassion for my wanting to get home to my family that I have FMLA for.. you see, unfortunately when Jack Frost gave us that stong dose of medicine (snow) I was not at home I was elsewhere. I wanted to get home!! reason I know my supervisor would have little concern is that when my mother ( who lives with me) was having a heart attack while I was at work.. I was not given permission to leave my desk and go to her. I had to call 911 from my desk. --soon after that heart felt moment/incident I obtained FMLA for my mom. I spoke to my supervisor the very next day via phone and was told that staffing was adequate and that even the vise president said to let the ones stranded to remain at home.. only to realize it was only noise in my ears... he was planning on firing me when I returned the very next day. My supervisor to me was a thug running a pool hall not an office. Perhaps I should be happy now that I am out of there..wasnt quite the way I wanted, but I'm free.
If this is all legal in a way that a supervisor can throw their weight..then where is equal? Other employee's do worse, but nothing happens to them.

C

caremit

I guess that I dont have a foot to stand on.. what I've been told is true..its not what you know its who you (?).
I dont work that way.
Sincerely, Caremit

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">