• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassment/slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmcnellis

What is the name of your state? montana

next item on my list: Last July my company bought out a neighboring facility. Many of the employees of that facility came to work for us in various capacities. A manager of a department adjoining mine transfered to my company. He and I had been friends for many years prior. We spend alot of time together at work (because our departments cannot exist without one another) and outside of work as well. For about a year now, a rumor regarding myself and my male co worker having an extramarrital affair has been going around. Every week I hear a different story about what so - and - so saw us doing (which is nothing at all) and the like. It came to the point that my husband (who also worked there for a time) heard these rumors and we started having problems as a result. He basically now believes I had an affair and we have seperated a few times as a result of him being told untrue things by our coworkers. Also, my male co worker is divorcing because his wife believes the things she has heard as well. Complicating the situation is that our supervisor has approached us several times and threatened us that this "affair" must stop. We told him there is no truth the rumors, but he persists. I finally told my boss that either the people at work started minding their own business and let me alone or I would quit my job to avoid any more strain on my marriage. Mind you, the rumors and stories are always about things that happened after hours and not at work. Is this kind of gossip, which is harmful to my reputation and personal relationships considered harassment or slander? I am humilliated, confused and outraged. Someone please help. If there's nothing I can do to retalliate, does anyone have suggestions about how to handle this professionally? Thanx

Beth3

No, this does not constitute sexual harassment. It's only slander if you can identify who started the rumor, prove that they knowingly lied in order to do you harm, and you suffer damages as a result. I doubt that's possible.

Your boss is concerned because whether you are or aren't having an affair, the whole situation is interfering with work and productivity.

What you want to do at this point is up to you. It's a shame that you and this co-worker can't enjoy a plantonic friendship but apparently it's not only made things difficult for you in the workplace, it's putting your marriage in serious jeopardy. I guess I don't quite understand why you didn't end the friendship with this guy and quit spending time together outside of work when first and foremost, it was having serious consequences on your marriage.

You simply cannot control what people are going to think and what they're going to speculate about. If you wish to, you can make different choices that take away fuel for the talk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">