• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment when you own part of the company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sheehs1

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I have a very confusing situation. I am a 20% owner in a small family business with my other 3 siblings and Father. I hold the position of Exec. Vice President and have for almost 11 years. My sister is President with the same percentage of ownership. The Board is made up of family members with one outside member. My sister the President has tried to "get me out" of the company for oh about 10 of the 11 years but this has become almost unbearable during the last year. I am very good at what I do and she is becoming more and more irrational. Her behavior is the reason my brother is no longer working there.
Recently, the harrassment level includes voice mail messages that tell me to go find another place to work. The bullying and threats resulted in her physically pushing me over a chair in my own office and me flying over the chair and landing on the floor. This, I know , is insane. I want to do my job and my sister wants the entire company for herself. She has not put any buy out agreements on the table, the board does not meet and she is way out of control. The family is at her mercy and has been for years. We have spent tens of thousands on consultants, etc.... to no avail. There recommendations have been that we both get out . She will not do this.
First question, If I have all the proof of these actions , including the physical abuse do I have any legal recourse that I can use should the decision from the Board be to get rid of one of us - me - to protect myself and my family.
I have called a lawyer and am trying to get a meeting established - just to get prepared. But I am still worried. At what point is it just harrassment from a nasty person versus threat of physical harm. Please... restraining orders and assault orders will just embarrass the family - I do not wish to fight my family or break it apart - I simply want to be left alone to do my job to the best of my ability - free from the psycological games she is playing ..not to mention the physical ones.

Beth3

You could have filed criminal charges when your sister assaulted you but in terms of prohibited harassment under any employment law statutes, this does not remotely qualify.

Your sister is nuts. I suggest you meet with this attorney and pursue how to get your 20% share out of the family business and move on unlesss this lawyer has any bright ideas how to oust her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">