• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have my rights as an employee been legally violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C.Sullivan.1038

Wisconsin
Less than a year ago the company I work for was sold to a small business owner who has lived in the country for less than ten years. The longer he has been my employer, the more flirty he gets. What started out as compliments that I found to be somewhat strange but brushed off considering cultural differences and not wanting to jeopardize my job has slowly progressed into more uncomfortable situations. One of the first situations I considered to be flat out inappropriate was when he somewhat seriously but in a "haha" manor suggested that I bring his brother, a fellow employee, to my apartment and "give him a massage." When I sternly replied "excuse me?" instead of being polite he quickly pulled it back saying it wasn't what he meant. The most recent situation was when I was leaving work as he was pulling into the parking lot and he stopped me and told me to come back and park. He had a stern look on his face so I agreed thinking he has something important to tell me about my job. When I parked he got out of his car and came up to my window and rested there telling me he was upset that I was leaving work already because he had a friend who he wanted me to meet. I've always had a friendly yet professional relationship with his friends and family that he's brought around so I agreed, also I was feeling like my personal space was being somewhat invaded so I figured getting out of the car would be a simple, non-defensive solution to getting him to back away from me. We were in a public place and my co-worker was able to see everything so I didn't feel unsafe. He introduced me to a man who was anywhere from 20 to 30 years older than I am. The mans son was was also there along with a couple of other men lingering in the background checking out the building and just chit chatting. He went on to say that he was so excited to meet me and that my employer has said so many good things about me. Next he went on to ask me about my plans for the night and suggested that I join them for drinks. I declined the invitation but politely accepted a business card for the restaurant he owns saying if I mentioned his name I could have a free meal. (I had no intentions of doing this but still wanted to remain polite.) He tried writing something on the card but his pen wouldn't work so he eventually gave up handed it to me and we all went our separate ways. I immediately called my mom just because it was so strange that I had to tell someone. I didn't think much about it after until the next day while I was at the dentist I received a phone call from my employer. I answered thinking he was going to ask me to come into work so when he asked me what I was doing I explained that I was at the dentist in Appleton, the next city over. He then stated that he wasn't calling for me to work, but to tell me to call his friend who was very interested in meeting me. I told him if I wanted to call his friend that would be my choice, I had his card and he knew that. I also explained that it wouldn't be happening because I found it strange. He quickly thanked me and ended the conversation. Two hours later I received a text message from a number that I didn't not recognize. It was from the man from the night before and it read "Hi dear bob from Appleton I know you r in town call me or stop at restaurant I have bar in there too." At this point I'm feeling uncomfortable because it means not only did my employer give out my phone number without my consent but also my location and their intentions are strongly implied. I guess I'm wondering if any of my rights as an employee have infringed upon. I will say its intimidating to stand up to him because I've seen him lose his temper with people very easily and Wisconsin is a no fault state and he could fire me for basically whatever he wants and apart from him I really love my job.

C.Sullivan.1038

Four employees at my specific location. He has four other locations and I'm not certain how many people are employed at each one but they're all similar to mine.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then you're better off dealing with this at the state level then the Federal level; you may be too small to fall under Federal statutes (depends on how may employees overall at the other locations) but WI state law applies regardless of the size of the employer.

Have you EVER indicated to this gentleman that you are not comfortable with his behavior?

C.Sullivan.1038

Yes I have but I also move on quickly to avoid too much tension, which is clearly not the right thing to do. It absolutely shocked me he gave the man my phone number and told him where I was. I always though employee confidentiality laws were in place (or something like that) but I'm also not too educated on this. I've been reading a lot online and it all seems like a gray area to me. I haven't spoken to him yet about this specific instance mostly because before I do I want to make sure I'm approaching it correctly.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are next to no employee confidentiality laws outside of medical information.

My recommendation would be that you make it absolutely clear that you are not comfortable with this. If you suffer any negative retaliation or if the problem then continues, call the DWD.

https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/discrimination_civil_rights/harassment.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">