• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fergi68

What is the name of your state? PA
Hi I have been working at a doctors office for 6 months. I was to start getting medical benefits after being there for 3 months. Two weeks ago and I went and asked since the time for me to have them was long overdue. At that time I was written up and put on a 30 probation period. And was told I would not get my medical benefits at this time. My question is are they legally allowed to do this to me as I do have the employee manual that states medical benefits start after 3 months. I feel like I was written up because they didn't want me asking about the benefits.

Beth3

They can put you on probation if that's what they want to do, but they can't deny you participation in the health plan if the Plan Document specifies that newly hired employees are eligible for benefits after 3 months of employment (and you meet any other requirements specified, such as the number of hours that must be worked weekly, etc.)

You may file a complaint with the federal Department of Labor if the employer has violated the provisions in their group health Plan Document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">