• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health and ostergized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mytoocents

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was made to sign a form that stated I needed to tell all my health information to them and that I had no right to know who my coworkers are, if I was not able to cover my shift, then I was able too I was told not to come in and i asked who will cover my shift and they didn't tell me. then I was made to sign this form that said I didn't have the right to know my coworkers and was not able to stay before or after my shift ended, also a coworker told everybody that I have diabetes but don't everybody there doesn't talk to me and getting worse. The admin then hr then hr director within a month created this contract. Is it legal for them not to tell me my coworkers and ask for all my health info on top of them admitting I was diabetic. This happened after a staff meeting where nobody talked to me? It's hard working under these stressful conditions

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's a shame.

Do you have a legal question for us?

When you respond, please tell us how the co-worker knew you were diabetic, since that is quite likely relevant.

commentator

From the sound of this, the employer may have hired you not knowing you were diabetic, and when they found out, now they'd like to get rid of you, so that you can not be costly to their insurance programs, if they have them. It sounds, from what you say, like they are trying to make the workplace not such a good place for you, which will perhaps encourage you to quit.

I also do not understand how everybody else in the workplace found out you're diabetic. But it really makes no difference. This created form done up by your HR person isn't of much value. So what if they tell you "not to speak to your co workers."? I don't get it. Was this done to correct something that you were doing, as in hanging around after work socializing too much? They're letting you know you are being ostractized, but my advice to you would be to begin looking for another job, no amount of complaints is going to make this workplace, where you for some reason or another are not wanted, into a good workplace where you're treated better.

Don't quit this job until you have another to go to, don't give them any reason to fire you, always do your work to the best of your abilities, don't argue with them about whether or not you spend silly time discussion health conditions that are not relevant to your work, or whether or not your co workers are allowed to speak to you. Just do your work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is a specific Federal privacy law which may or may not have been violated, and how the co-worker found out about the diabetes very much matters to whether it has or not.

I will tell the poster up front that he does not have a right under the law to know who will cover his shift.

The purpose of the form he signed is also relevant to what, if any, legal recourse he may have. I assume that he wants to know if he has any or he wouldn't have posted on a legal board, but I'd like him to tell me precisely what he wants to know.

mytoocents

sad

I don't have diabetes but everyone thinks so they don't tell me who they are
I singed a form that states I need to give them all my health information even though I don't have insurance through them
I singed a form that states its not my privilege to know the people I work with even the ones that relieve me
No eye contact during meetings because I brought up this problem with the only people I know who told everybody and inadvertently talks about me in the meeting and the scope of work I do even the clients know which is very stressful the hr lady stated a coworker said you were diabetic in my first meeting with a big piece of cake in my hand. Consistently told inadvertently things about myself from my supervisor who I asked who was this coworker she stated he's an ex meth head and didn't like that and stated his name would be just fine in front of clients and he's awesome at what he does. This form I had reviewed by a corporate HR manager and she just stated wow and run away from there.

mytoocents

follow up

I was told the person I replaced had an inappropriate relation with one of our ex clients I stated that was wrong and it went downhill from there. They assumed I was down on my luck where as I have a loving family solid career being a non profit I volunteered at other places but took this job to finish up my second degree and love what I am doing but being a FTE here changed the situation and this form killed my reputation and zest for I love, depressed and hopeless as a cool down in my sector of work leaves me little options

eerelations

Again, employers are not legally required to tell employees which coworkers replace them for shifts the employees are unable to take. You have no legal recourse for this.

I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that some of your coworkers think you have diabetes when you don't actually have diabetes. That said though, I don't believe that there are any laws prohibiting employees from having misconceptions about their coworkers' health.

mytoocents

Again, employers are not legally required to tell employees which coworkers replace them for shifts the employees are unable to take. You have no legal recourse for this.

I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that some of your coworkers think you have diabetes when you don't actually have diabetes. That said though, I don't believe that there are any laws prohibiting employees from having misconceptions about their coworkers' health.
Thanks for your input, I highly disagree along with with a seasoned hr council on the words they used.

commentator

This entire post has me going "Huh????" Nobody misspells ostergized this way and then successfully spells lots of harder words and accuses someone of being a "seasoned HR professional."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the off chance that this is for real, what is the reason you were asked to sign this paper about your health information?

Again, they are quite right that they do not have to give you the name of anyone who covered for you. Nor, given the facts that you have provided, is it illegal for someone to talk about your being diabetic, even if you aren't. People are allowed to be mistaken.

The ONLY thing you have here that MIGHT be illegal is the form you claim to have been made to sign about your health information, and even that is not guaranteed illegal. More information would be needed. Please try to make it intelligible if you reply.

eerelations

This entire post has me going "Huh????" Nobody misspells ostergized this way and then successfully spells lots of harder words and accuses someone of being a "seasoned HR professional."
Agree. I just reread one of OP's posts where he/she said he/she is pursuing a second degree. No one with a first degree says something like "ostergized". :rolleyes:

(In fact when I first read the thread title I thought "What??? OP was put in a blender?")

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">