• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hidden cameras???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babytaji

I'm in California and want to know if it's legal for the owner of a bar/tavern, etc., to use hidden cameras in the restrooms? They look straight down onto the toilet area. They are "supposedly" being used to investigate the possible use of illegal drugs on the premises.

Last edited:

Beth3

That would be a very questionable practice. While business owners have plenty of latitude to install security cameras, typically they may not do so in areas where individuals clearly have an "expectation of privacy" and a toilet stall is certainly a primary example of that. I'm not an attorney and I'm not in CA so I can't give you a definitive answer but there may be a State statute and almost certainly case law on this subject.

You might start by calling the gov't agency in CA that deals with restaurants and taverns (licensing, inspections, etc.) and see what they say and whether they can steer you in the right direction to get an answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">