• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPPA Request and Amend medical records need lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

medical123

HIPAA Request and Amend medical records need lawyer

I need a lawyer to help me to do the process of request and amend to my medical records. This is an aspect of HIPAA. I have consulted with Georgetown University to acquire this information. I have an incorrect interpretation from a doctor of a blood test that has caused me problems. Also a diagnosis that has turned out to be a misdiagnosis that has caused me so much grief and has the potential to stop me from getting the job I want. I was seen by another doctor who said the diagnosis was completely false. I need someone in the LA,CA area or online if that's possible to help me with this process. I also want to legally seal some of these records if possible. It's really unbelievable that felons can seal their records yet good people who have been misdiagnosed have to wear a scarlet letter. :mad: It is wrong and discriminatory. I need someone to work with me on this. Also if anyone on here has done this before or can share their story of doing this process, that would be great!

Last edited:

justalayman

I need a lawyer to help me to do the process of request and amend to my medical records. This is an aspect of HIPPA
care to clue me in where HIPAA (not HIPPA) addresses your right to alter your medical records?

I have an incorrect interpretation from a doctor of a blood test
who says it is incorrect?

Also a diagnosis that has turned out to be a misdiagnosis that has caused me so much grief and has the potential to stop me from getting the job I want.
and the doctor who made the diagnosis says what to the matter?

You can request your records by walking into the provides office and doing just that. They can charge you for copying your records.
Have you been denied copies of your records?

tranquility

While you may be able to add a statement to your records, you can't change them. But, if a doctor fell below the standard of care causing damages, a malpractice lawsuit would be possible.

medical123

While you may be able to add a statement to your records, you can't change them. But, if a doctor fell below the standard of care causing damages, a malpractice lawsuit would be possible.
That is a good idea. I could take the new diagnosis with me to the doctor with the incorrect diagnosis and let them know if they don't reevaluate me in light of this new diagnosis that I will sue them for malpractice. According to Georgetown University you can legally amend the records, (add the new info), to the records without the old doctor's approval. This is just in case the doctor refuses to change their diagnosis because they don't want to be wrong or liable. But, they also said that this is not a do it yourself project and I would need a lawyer. That is why I'm posting on here to try to find a lawyer in the LA,CA area to work with me on this.

justalayman

medical123;3086013]That is a good idea. I could take the new diagnosis with me to the doctor with the incorrect diagnosis and let them know if they don't reevaluate me in light of this new diagnosis that I will sue them for malpractice.
that is not necessarily malpractice.

According to Georgetown University you can legally amend the records, (add the new info), to the records without the old doctor's approval.
can you support that? The doctors records are his records. That is where he puts information, not you. You have absolutely no right to change his records and in reality, you really don't. If you changed it to the "correct" diagnosis, who would you sue for the misdiagnosis?

This is just in case the doctor refuses to change their diagnosis because they don't want to be wrong or liable.
a doctor is not likely to change the diagnosis they made. They may agree it was not the correct diagnosis but the fact remains, the diagnosis they made is the diagnosis they made.

But, they also said that this is not a do it yourself project and I would need a lawyer.
You need more than a lawyer to do what you are suggesting you want to do.

That is why I'm posting on here to try to find a lawyer in the LA,CA area to work with me on this.
this is a forum, not a referral service. The state bar is one place to contact for referrals.

while you may be able to put a letter in your files, you have no right to change what the doctor put in the file. After all, it is a recording of what he saw and diagnosed at the time. That does not change.

ajkroy

OP, a diagnosis is nothing more than the doctor's opinion of what is wrong with you. It is based on his/her entire scope of education and experience, what information you have presented, and data gained from testing. There is nothing stopping you from obtaining a second, third, or even fourth opinion. You certainly don't need an attorney for that.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">