• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile Environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redrowan

What is the name of your state? New Jersey:confused:
I have been employed by the same company for 20 years. I am being transferred closer to my home. However my immediate supervisor has a very bad rep for being nasty , snide and generally a harasser in terms of nastiness and attitude. He has forced out 3 long term productive employees and his entire management team has requested transfers. Hence my transfer. HR has had a full day there with the numerous complaints about this individual . The company does not like publicity but I want to protect myself from harrassment any tips?

D

DRN

Once on the job, keep a written daily log of everything you do.

Whatever project/job/client you work on, every phone call made and received, every letter sent or received, every conversation with staff, everything you do during the day.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI, what you describe does NOT constitute a hostile environment under the law. It's a shame that the company does not find it necessary to do something about this individual but if he is not singling people out for nasty behavior BECAUSE OF a protected characteristic, it's not illegal.

I'm not unsympathetic; I've been there. I had a manager who was so nasty to me, she nearly drove me into professional therapy. But since she wasn't attacking me because of my race, gender, national origin etc. but because she saw the fact that I had more education than she, as a threat to her job, she was not doing anything illegal.

It is also not illegal to be an "equal opportunity jerk" which is what your supervisor sounds like.

A

Alessandra

DRN said:
Once on the job, keep a written daily log of everything you do.

Whatever project/job/client you work on, every phone call made and received, every letter sent or received, every conversation with staff, everything you do during the day.
what does she do with this information?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">