• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile Environment - Job Performance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cazstreet

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband was hired as a general manager for a family owned retail furniture dealer in August of 2002 and told by the president of the company (the daughter who does not own any interest in the company, just a figure head so to speak) and who is also his boss, that he would be responsible for managing the sales staff, the warehouse crew, buying, advertising, etc. since she desparately needed help, she couldn't run the operation by herself anymore and especially wanted him to help drive sales back up..they had not been profitable in 4 years. She also had her father's approval for the hiring of my husband. The father owns the company out right and still works part-time. My husband agreed to the salary and bonus structure which was 25% of profits before tax for the months of Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec. 2002. It's now 6 months later and things are terrible..she will not allow him to do any of the things for which he was hired and now there is an ongoing family feud between the father and daughter and the daughter has told my husband he is not permitted to speak to her father about anything relative to the business but the father is continuously questioning my husband about the business and my husband is fearful of losing his job. He has been told to keep quiet, go sweep and dust the showrooms and stay away from the drivers and warehouse crew. He did find out that the company had profit in those 4 months but has not seen the bonus check even though he asked the daughter about it..the daughter is a cpa and hubby found out she is hiding things in the books so daddy won't find out what a mess she has made of his business. Does this constitute hostile working conditions?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, but no. A "hostile work environment" occurs when the "hostilities" are BECAUSE OF a membership in a protected group. It doesn't appear that any of this is happening because of your husband's age, race, national origin etc., but more because the father and daughter have the on-going feud and the daughter doesn't want to give up any control. Your husband is an innocent bystander in all of this and that's a shame. But it does not constitute a hostile environment. Bad management is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">