• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work enviorment/harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jpt123

What is the name of your state? Illinois

(A hostile work environment is when your employer singles you out for unfair treatment based on gender, age, race, religion, disability)

In reference to the above, would this apply to a department being singled out and the department is harrased as a whole?

S

Sinsaint26

Not unless the entire department is all one race, gender, religion or all have a disability.

J

jpt123

Hostile work enviorment

Thanks for the answer. Would a hostile work enviorment fit the following when:
The place I work hired a new Administrator about 5 years ago. He does not want the department I am in to exist. He has created problems constantly that are obviously directed to only the department I work in. Can some action be iniciated against this person for creating a hostile work enviorment?

J

jpt123

Available options?

Thanks for the reply.
Are there any options to deal with the situatrion I am in? One person who is involved went to the hospital a few weeks ago with a bleeding ulcer(the safety director of all people). I am feeling effects of the stress dumped on us by this cuthroat administrator. People are so preoccupied worried about loosing their job or getting transfered to a job they don't want or are not qualified for. It is now effecting the quality of work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your options are to:

1.) Report the supervisor to upper management and hope they decide to deal with him (since he is not doing anything illegal they are not required to do so if they choose not to and are willing to lose employees over him).

2.) Look for another job.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. I have been in a similar situation and am not unsympathetic. But it is not illegal to be a jerk - it is not even illegal to be a world-class jerk. You cannot take any legal action because he is not doing anything illegal. See if upper management or HR can do anything about him - if they can't or won't, your option is to "vote with your feet" and look for other employment.

J

jpt123

cbg said:
Your options are to:

1.) Report the supervisor to upper management and hope they decide to deal with him (since he is not doing anything illegal they are not required to do so if they choose not to and are willing to lose employees over him).

2.) Look for another job.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. I have been in a similar situation and am not unsympathetic. But it is not illegal to be a jerk - it is not even illegal to be a world-class jerk. You cannot take any legal action because he is not doing anything illegal. See if upper management or HR can do anything about him - if they can't or won't, your option is to "vote with your feet" and look for other employment.

J

jpt123

World Class Jerk lessons

I was afraid of that. I am 4 years away from retirement is the problem. The Jerk knows that. The other problem is; this is not a supervisor. It is the top dog(administrator). The board of directors have been made aware of this jerk, but I have the feeling they back him. As devil's advocate, is their anything I can do to be a jerk(legally)? At least to make his life misserable? Dog eat Dog I suppose.

HomeGuru

Re: World Class Jerk lessons

jpt123 said:
I was afraid of that. I am 4 years away from retirement is the problem. The Jerk knows that. The other problem is; this is not a supervisor. It is the top dog(administrator). The board of directors have been made aware of this jerk, but I have the feeling they back him. As devil's advocate, is their anything I can do to be a jerk(legally)? At least to make his life misserable? Dog eat Dog I suppose.
**A: Would you like to keep your job or be fired for just cause and lose your retirement benefits?

S

Sinsaint26

What he is saying is, your employer can fire you if they deem your behavior as inappropriate. Don't give them a reason to terminate you. Let them work to find a reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">