• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

atticus

What is the name of your state? purple Arkansas! three of my co-workers and I recently were terminated because we complained about our boss and we went through the proper channels to do so. However, we did not accept the answer that we received, which was for her to remain our boss, and we went to next person in command. Subsequently this resulted in our termination, which they called "insubordination and breaking the chain of command". My boss has yelled at us on several different occasions and slams our door open and has even put the trash can up against it to keep us from closing it. We have complained about her attitude on numerous occasions and nothing has been done until recently and it was not to her, it was to us. We are going to fight this with all we have, but we need help and advice. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

H

hmmbrdzz

I know you're upset, but from your description I don't think you've got much (in fact I don't think you've got anything). If they fired three of you, they meant business, and from the sounds of it, they probably had reason (which they don't need a reason anyhow). Not one but three employees wanted the door shut. Boss wanted it open. Boss started cussing and putting objects in front of door to keep it open. Someone in the bunch wouldn't comply and was insubordinate. Someone complained about the boss, possibly all three, and a conclusion was reached within the chain somewhere -- fire all three. Bosses "bad attitude" can and will continue. Nothing has happened that constitutes harassment or discrimination or retaliation or anything you could seek relief on. Put it behind you and get another job. Don't go up against the boss -- ever. Find another job before you do. Even if you had a bonafide incident of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation here or in the next job, the chances of you (the employee) ever getting "relief" through internal channels or the EEOC or by filing a lawsuit are 0 to none. All those policies that tell you what your rights are or tell you how to "file a complaint" ? 0 to none. That's the reality of your job(s) where ever you work.

hmmbrdzz

Beth3

atticus, nothing you have shared remotely meets the legal definition of a hostile workplace. Unless the boss's behavior towards the three of you was BECAUSE of your collective membership in a protected group (i.e. your ages, races, religions, national origins, etc.), it was not a hostile workplace.

You haven't provided any information that would suggest you have any legal basis to fight their decision to terminate the three of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">