• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Hostile" Work Environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tamiqua

What is the name of your state? UTAH

I had a meeting with my second in rank boss and he lied to my face about the situation. I ignored it at first and then he lied to me again about another situation. I finally said "please don't lie to me." He asked me why I thought he was lying and I told him and also told him I could prove that. He got ticked. He started yelling at me and ordered me out of his office. I tried to leave and he gave me a direct order to sit back down so he could yell at me some more. I was crying by the time I got to leave his office.

I have now received my performance review 3 months later and he has in the review that I was insubordinate to him. Ever since this event has happened, we can't talk to each other. We can't be in the same room. All the other employees have noticed it. We have had several problems with this supervisor. They all agree with me that he treats me different-not allowing me to get a bonus and not allowing me on a special assignment. Trusting him is one thing I will have to deal with, but it is the work environment that I don't like. I now have to work night shift so that I don't have to work with him, which makes me lose out on a different special assignment I had. He has also been giving direct orders to the other employees requesting them to tell him what I talk about during work and what I have said about different situations-what my opinions are, etc. (The other employees have told me since I started 2 years ago that he doesn't like females and that is why he treats me the way he does.)

Although saying please don't lie to me wasn't the best thing to do-is that actually insubordination? He expects honesty from me, can't I expect that from him? Can he yell and scream at me like that? What can I do or say on a grievance to make the hostile work environment go away?

He has also claimed to the top boss that I refuse to say hello to him when he says hello. He says this is disrespecting his authority. The other employees can testify that he doesn't say hi to me-that he won't talk to me. In fact he has been relaying messages through my husband who also works for the same place. Now I'm afraid this will continue to snowball because when I do see him and say hi, then he will say I am doing it to be sarcastic.

Beth3

A hostile workplace is one where there is a pervasive atmostphere of discrimination/hostility BECAUSE of an employee's (or group of employees) membership in a protected class. In other words, because of race, gender, religion, age, national origin, etc. Nothing in your post suggests that is the case here.

Your boss not liking you and not being nice to you for any other reason does not create a hostile workplace in the legal sense. Your options are to try to make amends with this boss and get on decent terms with him, put up with it, or look for another job.

Saying "please don't lie to me" can be construed as insubordination. Insubordination is failing to accord the proper respect to a member of management and accusing a superior of lying can fall into that catetory.

Tamiqua,
Something I noticed throughout your post that I wanted to comment on. You should be VERY careful about what you say and who you even listen to. There is a lot of "they think", "we all feel", "they say" and it looks like you are talking and listening too much about your boss. So he has had problems with others. So what? That is not your business.

Do not kid yourself. Many a person's downfall has been because they only told someone at work who they "trust" or because they attached a lot of weight to co-workers saying they would "back them up". What they say and think does not mean squat and your problem with your boss is not thier business.

There appears to be WAY too much drama here and if you are discussing it AT ALL or even listening to others comment you are increasing the tension.

If I were you I would limit conversation to necessary work related things and brief pleasantries about the weather.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">