• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nvltgo

I am an automobile technician at a union dealership in Minnesota. We use a dispatcher to assign a tech a job when he is ready for a new job. We are all journeyman with the same classification doing the same work with no variation.

It appears that the dispatcher plays favoritism to a couple of the techs. He has been witnessed showing a tech what jobs are left and allowing the tech to choose which job he wants. He has sent techs jobs when the techs did not call for them. This has been done in two ways...by filling the stalls of some techs with bad work allowing him to have the good work left for his friends and by sending his friends good work when they already had work again leaving only bad work for the other techs. We also use what we call a list...when we are short of work and a tech calls for a job he is put on a list...as work comes in it is handed out in order per the list. The dispatcher has ignored the list and given the work out to his friends.

This info has been given to our manager but he doesn't believe it is happening. More then just me have brought it to his attention.

Do these actions follow the parameters for the creation of a hostile work environment?

Thank you
Dave

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. Not even close.

If preferencial treatment is being given to some of the techs because of their race, gender, national origin, religion, etc. you might have a case for illegal discrimination. Otherwise, no laws are being broken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">