• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work environment/Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuanHenry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I worked at my last job for 2 years. During the last 2 months of my employment, a new set of young managers were brought in. With them, they brought drugs and ran the place like a frat house. I tried to cooperate the best I could for the first month, but their behavior became unbearable to work with, so I anonymously reported them to upper management. The GM failed a drug test while working and nothing was done. Around this time, I asked for a raise and was given one for my good performance and reliability. The drug use continued, and I reported them again. After another failed drug test, nothing was done and the drug behavior continued. At some point the managers were able to find out it was me who reported them, and they became hostile. While cleaning one day, I asked a manager for some help finishing up a cleaning project, and he went berserk. This guy weighs at least 130 lbs more than me, and he shoved me with his weight, shouting that he was going to "knock me the **** out". I pulled out my cell phone to record the incident. On the video you can see him throw a punch at me, and threaten to kill me. The stores security cameras show us talking, and him being the only aggressor. I got out of their, told my GM what happened and went to the police. The police wrote a report and were willing to charge simple assault and terrorist threats at that time. Then I quit and immediately filed for unemployment, claiming hostile work environment. Two days passed where I did not show up to work scheduled days. My boss called me each day, practically begging me to come in because the store was busy and they were understaffed. I said no I am never coming back, and reported this to unemployment again. Finally on the third day, the GMs tone changed and said I cant quit, because I am fired. I again reported this to unemployment. A few weeks passed, and I was approved for unemployment, stating I had a necessitous reason to quit and had maintained my burden of proof.

However, my former GM, and the AM still work their, and have been lying about how things went down. They have been telling people I was fired because of my attitude, though they thought my attitude was just fine when they gave me a raise before they found out I reported their drug abuse on the job. What can I do? Do I have a hostile work environment or slander case against them?

OHRoadwarrior

It does not appear you were the victim of a hostile work environment. It appears you had a confrontation with another employee and were both fired for violating company policy by having an altercation at work.

Proserpina

But in case the other coast has gone to bed:

Getting approved for UI does NOT mean that your ex-employer was actually doing anything illegal or even wrong.

quincy

... However, my former GM, and the AM still work their, and have been lying about how things went down. They have been telling people I was fired because of my attitude, though they thought my attitude was just fine when they gave me a raise before they found out I reported their drug abuse on the job. What can I do? Do I have a hostile work environment or slander case against them?
I see no slander case that can be supported by what you have disclosed so far.

Eekamouse

I worked at my last job for 2 years. During the last 2 months of my employment, a new set of young managers were brought in. With them, they brought drugs and ran the place like a frat house. I tried to cooperate the best I could for the first month, but their behavior became unbearable to work with, so I anonymously reported them to upper management. The GM failed a drug test while working and nothing was done. Around this time, I asked for a raise and was given one for my good performance and reliability. The drug use continued, and I reported them again. After another failed drug test, nothing was done and the drug behavior continued. At some point the managers were able to find out it was me who reported them, and they became hostile. While cleaning one day, I asked a manager for some help finishing up a cleaning project, and he went berserk. This guy weighs at least 130 lbs more than me, and he shoved me with his weight, shouting that he was going to "knock me the **** out". I pulled out my cell phone to record the incident. On the video you can see him throw a punch at me, and threaten to kill me. The stores security cameras show us talking, and him being the only aggressor. I got out of their, told my GM what happened and went to the police. The police wrote a report and were willing to charge simple assault and terrorist threats at that time. Then I quit and immediately filed for unemployment, claiming hostile work environment. Two days passed where I did not show up to work scheduled days. My boss called me each day, practically begging me to come in because the store was busy and they were understaffed. I said no I am never coming back, and reported this to unemployment again. Finally on the third day, the GMs tone changed and said I cant quit, because I am fired. I again reported this to unemployment. A few weeks passed, and I was approved for unemployment, stating I had a necessitous reason to quit and had maintained my burden of proof.

However, my former GM, and the AM still work their, and have been lying about how things went down. They have been telling people I was fired because of my attitude, though they thought my attitude was just fine when they gave me a raise before they found out I reported their drug abuse on the job. What can I do? Do I have a hostile work environment or slander case against them?
Wait. Isn't this poster the know it all guy who thinks he knows everything about employment law? Why would he post his own question when he is so obviously omniscient?

QuanHenrycirca

Wait. Isn't this poster the know it all guy who thinks he knows everything about employment law? Why would he post his own question when he is so obviously omniscient?
I know nothing about employment law. I was pointing out that the girls manager will likely fight her claim but hey what do I know?

It does not appear you were the victim of a hostile work environment. It appears you had a confrontation with another employee and were both fired for violating company policy by having an altercation at work.
Nobody was fired, managements response was for us to move on like nothing happened. Is a company required to provide an environment where a reasonable person would feel safe? I think that a reasonable person would have felt unsafe continuing to work in such an environment.

I was literally not even talking to anybody, just working, when they druggie manager exploded for no reason. Not sure what company policy I violated. I wasn't told that I had violated any policy. And like I said, the whole thing is on camera, it was craziness.

Didnt think I had anything to prove slander, thanks.

Last edited:

quincy

I know nothing about employment law.

Nobody was fired, managements response was for us to move on like nothing happened. Is a company required to provide an environment where a reasonable person would feel safe? I think that a reasonable person would have felt unsafe continuing to work in such an environment.

I was literally not even talking to anybody, just working, when they druggie manager exploded for no reason. Not sure what company policy I violated. I wasn't told that I had violated any policy. And like I said, the whole thing is on camera, it was craziness.

Didnt think I had anything to prove slander, thanks.
Why did you change your user name?

An employer can potentially be held liable for the negligent hiring and/or negligent retention of an employee. If an employer hires or retains an employee that is known to be, should be known to be, or is learned to be of danger to another or others in the workplace, the employer can be sued should the employee subsequently harm someone in the workplace.

It is good that you quit the job.

QuanHenrycirca

Why did you change your user name?

An employer can potentially be held liable for the negligent hiring and/or negligent retention of an employee. If an employer hires or retains an employee that is known to be, should be known to be, or is learned to be of danger to another or others in the workplace, the employer can be sued should the employee subsequently harm someone in the workplace.

It is good that you quit the job.
I was banned 4 months for posting "smd" instead of "smh". Im sure this account will be banned soon also.

Thank you. This guy has a violent history. We only started working at my store 2 weeks before the incident. He often bragged about drug deals, fighting in prison, and even threatened to kill somebody for ripping him off in a drug deal outside of work. Management was aware of all of this. It was insanity. He is kind of a charming guy so he was able to talk his way in to keeping his job, Im pretty sure he still works there.

quincy

I was banned 4 months for posting "smd" instead of "smh". Im sure this account will be banned soon also.

Thank you. This guy has a violent history. We only started working at my store 2 weeks before the incident. He often bragged about drug deals, fighting in prison, and even threatened to kill somebody for ripping him off in a drug deal outside of work. Management was aware of all of this. It was insanity. He is kind of a charming guy so he was able to talk his way in to keeping his job, Im pretty sure he still works there.
You were banned, huh? It is generally a good idea for people to read the terms of service prior to posting. Vulgar language on this site is specifically prohibited, regardless of the form it takes. If you have not stayed off this forum and instead have created new user names to get around the ban then, yes, you will probably not be on this forum much longer (at least as QuanHenry or variations thereof).

As to your employment concern, if you had been seriously injured in the altercation at work, you could potentially have had a legal action worth pursuing against the employer. I don't see that you have one worth the time and expense of pursuing with what you have posted so far, though.

I imagine your former employer will be sued eventually, however, if he continues to employ that guy.

Here is a 2010 link to state laws on negligent hiring and retention, from the American Bar Association: http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/labor_law/meetings/2010/annualconference/087.authcheckdam.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">