• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can I protect my job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

springchicken

Florida

I am a 52-year old female, working for a major bank headquartered in Chicago. I lived and worked for this bank in Chicago for 25 years, attained a good position and had an excellent track record. I moved to Florida and took a job with the same bank in a totally different area, which required licensing. I've taken and finally completed (after 2 1/2 years) my final test. My role is in business development, but I have revenue goals to meet just as sales does. During the time when I was not yet licensed, I had a portfolio to manage and a revenue goal to meet, in addition to studying for the tests.

My experience with this bank has been that, surprise surprise, one's success is determined by how much a person is liked by their superiors. I now find myself in a position on the other side of the fence.

My boss is in his 30's and has been with the bank for 3 years, my boss for 1 year. To be fair, I've created some of my own problems by voicing my opinions as to what needs to be done...it's a new branch and I have a lot of experience bringing in and keeping clients. Recently, he's been harassing me in various ways; I believe, especially in light of the past year's budget cuts, to get me to quit. I did not meet last year's sales goal, partlially because I didn't receive full credit, but primarily because our new clients' investment portfolios were drastically reduced by the stock market situation. Ordinarily, sales goals are reduced when circumstances warrant.

Now my boss documents everything and is constantly on me about the numbers. I know I will be out if I don't make them this year, yet I feel that he's setting me up to fail. The logical thing to do would be to find another job, but I will have my medical insurance covered if I last until I'm 55, which I would like to do. In fact, I think this may be one of the reasons for all of this. This type of thing must be common these days, and I wonder if you have any advice as to how I can turn it around and still keep my job, which I love. I'm documenting as well, but do I have any recourse, and if so, where do I start? If there is no recourse, would it be better to leave now or to wait until I'm fired for not making the numbers?

Thanks in advance,

Springchicken

S

Sinsaint26

If you feel that you are being treated less favorably than other employees due to your age or gender you can file a complaint with the EEOC (dually filed with your local state agency). My personal advice would be to stick with the company until they make their decision but it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to keep your eyes open for new job opportunities elsewhere. While you are there document everything, even if you don't feel it is important at that time. One big thing to watch for is if others who happen to be younger or male have reduced numbers (or have their quotas reduced) while you are still subjected to the higher quotas.

S

springchicken

Thank you for the advice, Sinsaint26.

The business development position is unique in this branch, and my concern is that it is what can be used to differentiate my goal requirements from the others'. This boss may decide to eliminate the business development position altogether. His focus is on last year's failure to meet the numbers, which is why he's hounding me month by month. He discredited one of my deals, saying it was handed to me. First of all, that's not true, but even if it were, that happens all the time in sales, as does the opposite, where you work your tail off for nothing. My pipeline is really hopping right now, and I am concerned that he will fire me, then when the deals in my pipeline close, he'll receive the credit and associated incentives.

For now, though, I may be able to obtain comparative information through our tracking system. I would like to ride it out, if possible, but it's an uncomfortable, not to mention unproductive environment, and taking its toll on my self-confidence/ego.

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">