• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can i prove it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donnyblue

I've worked for the same company in Washington state for 2 1/2 years, and i've been the only black person employed there. I've been told that the only reason I have not been fired is that i'm black. Is this discrimination? I'm also sure that i'm being discriminated against as far as pay because new employees have recieved higher starting wages and most make more than me, even though I've been atthis company longer than any current employee in my department. I'm more than positive that i'm being discriminated against how can I prove it, and what should I do???

ALawyer

It is certainly a stupid comment for anyone to make, and hurtful, but my questions are how high in the organization was the person making the comment (if not a senior person, his opr her boss would be ticked to hear it) and most importantly, how good is your job perfomance objectively -- and what are your evaluations like?

If your perfomance is not considered very highly (for whatever reason) that makes it difficult to prove lack of promotions or salary disparity were based on discrimination because of race. Unfortunately where there are clear and pervasive patterns (such as despite minorities being 25% of the workforce none ever were promoted to level A), it is easier to make a case than if there is just 1 isolated individual.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">