• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to determine if I am legally being denied employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

default_user

I am a Illinois Resident Seeking Advice Concerning Employment Discrimination

I have been told by some "uninformed sources" that my background may be "flagging" false information to employers. First of all I know my rights and I know that I have nothing in my background that warrants me from being barred from employment. So this arguement makes no sense whatsoever. Which is why I am asking for advice here; I am certain that there is nothing in my history which would deny me the right to be employed. I have even considered vocations that offer lower wages than what I could ask for based on my work experience. But it doesn't matter because I have been denied them all anyway. Since then I even completed a certification for employment training which seems to be completely useless as well. This is why I am trying to determine what legal recourse I can take to determine if there is a court order that is preventing me from being employed. If this is the case it seems clearly illegal to withhold this information from me and I need some helpful advice in how I get my rights back. I need to know what local state and federal services there are for individuals who need to determine if they are being discriminated against for employment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I have been told by some "uninformed sources" that my background may be "flagging" false information to employers. First of all I know my rights and I know that I have nothing in my background that warrants me from being barred from employment. So this arguement makes no sense whatsoever. Which is why I am asking for advice here; I am certain that there is nothing in my history which would deny me the right to be employed. I have even considered vocations that offer lower wages than what I could ask for based on my work experience. But it doesn't matter because I have been denied them all anyway. Since then I even completed a certification for employment training which seems to be completely useless as well. This is why I am trying to determine what legal recourse I can take to determine if there is a court order that is preventing me from being employed. If this is the case it seems clearly illegal to withhold this information from me and I need some helpful advice in how I get my rights back. I need to know what local state and federal services there are for individuals who need to determine if they are being discriminated against for employment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What makes you think that there is a mysterious court order out there that says people can't employ you? That just sounds like paranoia to me.

I don't think there is anyone out there saying you CAN'T be employed. I think that it is more likely that there is something in your background or employment history which may cause employers not to want to hire you for a particular position. Not everyone is qualified for a particular job, and in this current job market, there may well be many people that are WAY overqualified for jobs they are applying for. Sometimes it's just a matter of you asking for more money than they are willing to pay for that particular position.

There are certainly resources you can use if you can PROVE that you are being denied employment for an illegal reason - but you have to be able to prove that their reason IS legally discriminatory. So far, there is nothing in what you say that leads me to believe there is anything but suspicion on your part.

CSO286

Like what? An order that says if you hire default_user, your business will fail and we'll come and steal your firstborn?

Any reason there'd be a court order out against you????

You do know what an "uninformed source" is, right? Someone who doesn't know jack.

And yes, you are LEGALLY being denied employment if all the places that aren't hiring you are doing so based on your reputation, what their cousin Joey heard, or the fact that you have brown eyes or that your wore a green shirt to drop off your application.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

FlyingRon

95% of the applications/resumes we receive get dumped on first glance. We don't bother even looking up anybody in any sort of database. Frankly, we don't even do so before an interview.
It's the last step (background check, drug test, proof of employability (and citizenship on jobs that require it).

I can't tell you the number of things I throw out without even looking at them because they're:

Submitted without regard to position being sought
Illegible or poorly prepared
Sent to the wrong place, or have the wrong company name on the envelope, etc....if you can't spend the time to figure out who you're applying to, we don't want you.

swalsh411

Why don't you pay a small fee and run a background check on yourself? It is always possible that it contains incorrect information.

Or everybody just thinks you're crazy.

Almost certainly one of the two.

Beth3

I have been told by some "uninformed sources" that my background may be "flagging" false information to employers. Why would "uninformed sources" know what they're talking about? :confused:

This is why I am trying to determine what legal recourse I can take to determine if there is a court order that is preventing me from being employed. No court ever has or ever would issue such an order.

I need to know what local state and federal services there are for individuals who need to determine if they are being discriminated against for employment. Nothing in your post has anything to do with any form of prohibited discrimination.

I don't know why you can't find employment (although many many thousands of people are in the same boat) but it has nothing to do with some secret court order.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Do you get in for an interview and are denied afterwards?

Or

do you not even get an interview?

Have a friend check out the companies that you list on your resume and see what they are saying about you.

Proseguru

Only a governmental body can declare that you were illegally fired, no one else. Although people can state their opinions on the matter, for sure.

If someone is bad mouthing you then, yes, you may be able to get relief. Proving it is much harder than just knowing it too.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

And yes, you are LEGALLY being denied employment if all the places that aren't hiring you are doing so based on your reputiation, what their cousin Joey heard, or the fact that you have brown eyes or that your wore a green shirt to drop off your application.

Agree with all of the above except the brown eyes part. Since eye color is at least in part linked to race and national origin, that *could* be considered illegal discrimination.

default_user

I don't think there is anyone out there saying you CAN'T be employed.
You can believe what you want but it doesn't change the circumstances as they are. The reason I say they aren't explicity stating that I am being denied employment is because whenever I ask for a reason I never get a clear reason. I go into interviews and suddenly after a after a weeks time as passed I get an awkward response from them saying they can't hire me. Its clearly obvious that there is something they aren't revealing; the equivalent to some sort of gag order. And I have heard the same old excuse about the economy and the job market and I know it has nothing to do with me, I can guarantee you that. The current state of the job market isn't affecting "every" vocation in America, I am not that naive. I can understand why you would think that my beliefs are unwaranted but you aren't being denied your constitutional rights. Now this is why I am seeking out resources not for Americans that are jobless, or are in fear of lossing their jobs but those Americans that are being denied that right to be employed.

Last edited:

default_user

Like what? An order that says if you hire default_user, your business will fail and we'll come and steal your firstborn?
Desperate people will do whatever it takes no matter what constitutional rights are violated.

You asked what type of court order; If I knew that I wouldn't be here. But its obvious to me that the law is involved at some level and that is why I want it uncovered so that I can find out the real cause.

default_user

I can't tell you the number of things I throw out without even looking at them
That not why I'm here. I know how companies hire individuals; I been going through this for years now. I have gone through the review process you are talking about these cases I am talking about all occur after interviews and interviews that usually go very well mind you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">