• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to handle sexual harassment at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midfifties

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Please give step by step action to deal with sexual harassment at work. What concrete steps do I take while this is happening. Every time I am taken by surprise, with no advance warnings with various offenders and I need an action plan. Any suggestions are appreciated.

commentator

"With no advance warning with various offenders...." We'd definitely need more information about what kind of work you do and for whom before we could give you any kind of assistance with a general questions like this. But yes, first of all, you'd need to report this sexual harassment to your HR if you have one. You must make someone higher up on the management chain aware that it is happening and give them the opportunity to solve the problem or resolve the situation before it would ever go any further. Maybe they will. If so, problem solved. But the way this is worded makes me wonder exactly what sort of situation you're talking about when you refer to this wholesale random sexual harassment with various offenders with no advance warning.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Please give step by step action to deal with sexual harassment at work. What concrete steps do I take while this is happening. Every time I am taken by surprise, with no advance warnings with various offenders and I need an action plan. Any suggestions are appreciated.

*Tell the offender(s) to stop whatever behavior you find objectionable.
*If they stop, problem solved.
*If they don't, report to HR (or if your company doesn't have an HR or EEO rep, to your immediate supervisor).​

justalayman

The phrasing of this disturbs me somehow.
um, ya.

"taken by surprise" sure does bring some specific images to mind and if the activities are anywhere close to the images in my mind, OP should be calling the police each time they are "taken by surprise".

but that reminds me of a joke:

guy goes bear hunting. First year he gets a big bear and is thrilled. Vows to return next year.

Next year comes. He is out hunting. To his surprise a big bear sneaks up behind him and taps him on the shoulder. He turns around. The bear says; last year you killed my brother. I will give you two choices. Let me screw you or I will maul you to death. Guy is not thrilled about either but obviously chooses the non-lethal activity. He then goes home.

He stews in his anger all the ensuing year and vows to go and kill that bear the next hunting season. The season comes and off he goes in search of the bear. Again, the bear sneaks up behind him and taps him on the shoulder. Guy turns around and is surprised to see the same bear and realizes there is no way for him to shoot the bear before the bear could maul him.

Bear gives him the same options as the previous year. Again the guy takes the non-lethal treatment. Again the guy goes home, even more angry than before and vows, again, to kill the bear the following hunting season.

So, the next season comes and guy goes hunting. Again the bear sneaks up on the guy and taps him on the shoulder. Again the bear gives the same two choices and again the guy takes the non-lethal choice.

This time, as he finishes, the bear says to the hunter;

You aren't really coming back each year to hunt, are you?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">