• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Human Resource Conflict of Interests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

Many people at my company have witnessed what is to be believed as unethical behavior with the head of Human Resource. The first thing is that the HR director takes part in pushing sales. The HR rep often takes part in sales performance meetings as well as discussions with staff about their sales numbers. Due to this double role, sales employees do not feel comfortable going to HR about concerns because their sales would likely come into question.

The second area of concern is the relationship the HR rep has with another executive in the company. These two execs are married. I have heard on several occasions of people unwilling to report disrespect or unquestionable remarks from this exec because of the relationship shared with HR. Furthermore, going to the business owner is not an option since the married couple and owner often share dinners and weekends together.

Are either of these situations inappropriate to the extent of being reportable? If something is indeed legally wrong about this situation, who does it get reported too?
The HR director taking part in sales performance meetings doesn't seem strange to me. Part of HR's job is making sure the staff employed is performing at the top of company expectations for them. What proof do you have that the HR director is involved in an extramarital affair? It sounds like malicious office gossip to me but I'm looking at things from the outside. If the HR director IS having an extramarital affair with another executive at the company, that's not illegal. You are welcome to seek employment elsewhere if you are not happy with your current employer. Repeating office gossip that you likely cannot substantiate with provable facts is a sure way to get yourself fired anyway.

ecmst12

The 2 execs are married to each other. No affairs were mentioned. I still don't see anything illegal.

Proserpina

Even if there is a conflict of interest, it doesn't matter. The only way I can see it being a loosely possible "maybe" is if you're working in the public sector and even then it's not necessarily an issue.

Outside of extraordinary circumstances (lack of disclosure of possible conflict of interest to shareholders, as an example) nepotism isn't illegal unless it genuinely does amount to a Title VII violation.

That being said, I have no idea why the OP thinks this is somehow illegal. How do you think smaller businesses work?

cbinc

Thank you

Thank you for your responses. I did not mean any affairs were taking place; only that they were all friends so anyone with a complaint about either one of these execs go unheard. Additionally, I did not claim anything about this was illegal -- I was simply asking because it seemed sketchy. At the very least, it is a conflict for employees.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no outside agency that has regulatory authority over the types of questions you raise. I'm not seeing any irregularities - I'm not sure why so many people think that no one in HR is supposed to have any kind of relationship with anyone anywhere in the company. But even if there IS a "conflict of interest" that does not violate any laws (at least not the way you have described it) and there is no agency that would care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">