• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am offended by use of the " N " word in my workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I am a white male employee working in a warehouse environment along side black males. During my shift we listen to music. A lot of the music played from smartphones is gangster rap with the use of the "N" word prevalent. I do not approve of it and am offended by it. It seems to be tolerated by co-workers and management. I have kept silent regarding my position not wanting to rock the boat, however it has gotten to the point that I don't feel I shouldn't have to tolerate it any longer, at the same time I am concerned with retaliation and retribution if I speak out. Is there any laws in the state of MD that condemn this activity in the workplace. Your advice is appreciated.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I am a white male employee working in a warehouse environment along side black males. During my shift we listen to music. A lot of the music played from smartphones is gangster rap with the use of the "N" word prevalent. I do not approve of it and am offended by it. It seems to be tolerated by co-workers and management. I have kept silent regarding my position not wanting to rock the boat, however it has gotten to the point that I don't feel I shouldn't have to tolerate it any longer, at the same time I am concerned with retaliation and retribution if I speak out. Is there any laws in the state of MD that condemn this activity in the workplace. Your advice is appreciated.
You do not have a right to not be offended. :cool:

quincy

There was an interesting decision out of New York this past September, on the use of the n-word in the workplace. The case had to do with exchanges between an employer and his employee, however, and not with the lyrics of rap songs.

Even though the n-word can have different meanings depending, in large part, on who is using the word, in Brandi Johnson v STRIVE East Harlem, a New York Federal Court ruled that, regardless of race and who is using the word, the n-word has no place in an employment setting.

Brandi Johnson, an African American woman, was reprimanded by her black employer, who used the n-word when disciplining her, and she tape recorded the exchange. Johnson sued and she was awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages and an additional $30,000 in punitive damages.

The advice you have been given (to use ear plugs) is good advice if you find the lyrics intolerable, or you can learn to appreciate the rap music for what it is, or, if you fear retaliation and retribution if you speak to management about the choice of music played in your workplace, then you can always consult with an attorney in your area.

I personally think that, if you have no problems with your job other than the type of music that is played while you work, using ear plugs is a nice, simple solution.

Last edited:

justalayman

@quincy

Apparently you have never been subjected to rap crap for hours on end. Not only is it offensive due to the use of the "n" word, it also is in general extremely derogatory to women and in most songs (if you can call them songs) anybody other than the (and I use this terms very liberally) artist performing the "song" itself. It also tends to incite violence.

While I generally hate "radio wars", maybe op should engage in playing Mexican music (or Polish Polka: you would realize they are one in the same short of the language used if you make a comparison). It's hard to argue with the upbeat rhythms inciting a faster paced workplace which benefits the employer.

And to those suggesting it; earplugs are not allowed in many work environments as they can be dangerous, especially in a warehouse environment where not hearing the forklift zooming up from behind could result in serious injury or death.

Last edited:

quincy

@quincy

Apparently you have never been subjected to rap crap for hours on end. Not only is it offensive due to the use of the "n" word, it also is in general extremely derogatory to women and in most songs (if you can call them songs) anybody other than the (and I use this terms very liberally) artist performing the "song" itself. It also tends to incite violence.

While I generally hate "radio wars", maybe op should engage in playing Mexican music (or Polish Polka: you would realize they are one in the same short of the language used if you make a comparison). It's hard to argue with the upbeat rhythms inciting a faster paced workplace which benefits the employer.

And to those suggesting it; earplugs are not allowed in many work environments as they can be dangerous, especially in a warehouse environment where not hearing the forklift zooming up from behind could result in serious injury or death.
I actually enjoy a lot of rap music. That said, I would not want to listen to it all day every day at work (although I would prefer it over "elevator" music). :)

Good point on the ear plugs.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you mentioned that you were offended by the use of a word that, in other circumstances, would be considered harassment right out of the gate to HR, what did they say?

commentator

I have never, in my long career, seen anyone successfully bring through a suit based on that I was working around a lot of African American people who played rap music and I am offended by the use of the "n-word" in this music. It is very likely that your protest of reverse discrimination in all its various forms is never going to fly, and you might as well accept it. That said, you really might have a complaint that you truly find the music that is being played offensive for whatever reason, whatever words are being said. It's pretty offensive in many cases. To everyone who is not the person singing and especially to women.

The powers that be might think about changing the music format of the work floor. You might just get elevator music, or no music at all. But one thing is for sure, the first thing that any EEOC complaint is going to look at is "What did your supervisors say when you addressed the issue with them?" If the situation could be solved at the local level, and no effort is made to find out if the employer is willing to remedy the situation, then you really have no complaint to take higher.

quincy

I have never, in my long career, seen anyone successfully bring through a suit based on that I was working around a lot of African American people who played rap music and I am offended by the use of the "n-word" in this music.
I suspect Conner123 may have heard of a 2008 case out of California that fits the facts of his described situation pretty closely, except Conner123 has not yet complained to management about the rap music being played in his place of employment.

In EEOC v Novellus Systems, Inc (Case No. C-07-4787-jw), Novellus Systems, Inc. was ordered to pay $168,000 to a black assembly line worker who was fired after complaining about the rap music, and the use of the n-word in the music, that was played by his coworker in the workplace.

From the EEOC's Press Release, June 24, 2008, EEOC Regional Attorney Michael R. Tamayo was quoted as saying: "The EEOC is not in the business of judging anyone's musical tastes, but we are concerned when we find that an employer has failed to respond promptly after being put on notice of racially offensive language or conduct in the workplace."
(http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/6-24-08.cfm)

Last edited:

justalayman

If ear plugs are not allowed, then neither should music. Both could prevent you from hearing a hazard.
Not quite the same as having stuck in your ear but there is some truth to the statement. So much in fact that I have been places that did make exactly that rule

Proserpina

Be thankful you're not being forced to listen to Cartman Sings Christmas.

Or Dragostea Din Tei on repeat...

(I am actually fluent in Romanian as long as we're discussing outlaws, "beep beep" and Picasso. In the same sentence)

justalayman

Be thankful you're not being forced to listen to Cartman Sings Christmas.

Or Dragostea Din Tei on repeat...

(I am actually fluent in Romanian as long as we're discussing outlaws, "beep beep" and Picasso. In the same sentence)

nu există nici un capăt la cunoștințele dumneavoastră?

and what is a Linden tree and what does it have to do with the song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">