• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Imposed Financial Hardship due to Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lou Williams

What is the name of your state? Florida

Subject: Disney willingly imposes 'Financial Hardship' via IRS Wage Levy

Hello,
I'm Lou Williams, an employee of Epcot @Disney World for 17 years.
On 4/17/03, what I thought would be a normal payday..was not, wherein my 'net' pay was $50.05 after a gross of $796.44 and net of $596.04. Due to an IRS Wage Levy of which I never received prior notification from Disney, my monies were usurped leaving me in a state of financial hardship. Obviously Disney did not adhere to IRS publication 1494, http://www.taxpayer-advocates.com/collection/wagelevy.htm, which stipulates the "Criteria for Levy amount" according to 'filing' status', of which I am married filing jointly with '3' exemptions'. Therefore I should have retained according to the 'table', a minimum allowable 'living expense', through 'neglect' on the part of Disney, I did not. Also, section 5.08.07 Garnishment Deductions of the IRS Code http://www.tnstate.edu/vpbf/pol/5-08-07.htm plainly states that 'garnishment' shall not exceed minimum allowable living expenses according to tables...a consideration not afforded me. Upon calling the IRS, I am told it is the 'employers' responsibility to properly calculate amount of garnishment.
What do you think...Is there a "Lawsuit" here?!?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration,

Lou Williams

S

Sinsaint26

I don't think there is a lawsuit here. I do think you should go to the HR department and explain that the deductions go against IRS codes which you have cited and that you need the problem corrected before the next pay date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">