• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inappropriate behavior from manager regarding disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All of which would be fine and dandy - except she failed to request an accommodation which means as far as the law is concerned, she didn't HAVE a disability.

Proserpina

Federal Discrimination laws state that:

- A disabled employee has the right to work in an environment free from harassment based on their disability.
- A disabled employee has the right to not be retaliated against for complaining about that harassment.
- A disabled employee has the right to not have their medical condition discussed with other employees.
Learn the law first, little girl.

Silverplum

Unfortunately, she has been unable to hold down a job until this year. Because of her lack of experience at her age, these types of places are the only ones that have shown any interest in her.
Can she type? Answer phones? If so, she could try temporary secretary work.

Don't be snippy with the nice volunteers.

OHRoadwarrior

As a former manager, I have dealt with some serious basket case employees. The way to handle them is to limit their stress and exposure to work. Telling them you are going to do so, because they are not capable of handling the job only makes their condition worse because then they develop a lack of self worth. Some people are not cut out for some jobs, when they are not, they should move on to a place they are capable of working.

Last edited:

commentator

Office jobs aren't a good choice either, because no office in these days needs someone to sit quietly with minimal public contact and sort papers and type a little. Those kinds of jobs went out with the IBM Selectric. She definitely needs to be working with the Vocational Rehabilitation department in your state. They will help her with a sheltered environment and possible training in some type of work they believe she is suited to do.

They will provide her with a job coach if she does get a job, inform the manager or supervisors what they need to do for her to help her succeed and will help her with on the job emergencies and problems. This means mother doesn't have to step in and do it all for her. It also means she gets a lot more support and evaluation from people who may be able to help her figure out what kind of work would be best for her, so she doesn't have these bad experiences.

I'm fairly bright and not at all given to shyness or panic attacks, actually was more confident as a young person, but the restaurant work I did was some of the most challenging I ever had. And the lower level managers and supervisors at restaurants tend to treat their employees worse than anyone else. Why do you think they turn over staff so often and hire just about anybody? The basics of the jobs are simple to learn and require no higher education or professional skills, so anybody who wants to try can come in and try, including the management jobs, you see. Those managers aren't going to be the best either. But being awful to people who work for you and with you isn't illegal unless it is done outside the letter of the few employment laws we do have in this country.

Last edited:

Silverplum

You might be surprised how many companies want someone there to answer phones when everyone else is out. Other than that, I agree with you, commentator. :)

OHRoadwarrior

Cost has proven an answering service or phone recorder to be much cheaper in most situations. If she is unskilled, she might even be able to handle a hostess position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">