• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inappropriate behavior from manager regarding disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Islandgirl17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Daughter is 25, and is diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder. Up until March 2015, she was unable to hold down a job. After working with a therapist for some time, she was able to learn techniques to use that are useful to help her deal with her anxiety issues, and began working at a chain breakfast restaurant in March. In October, 2015, she had her first experience with having a panic attack at work. When she felt it coming on, she asked her manager if she could go in the back room for just a few minutes to get herself together. Manager told her she could not do so. She stayed on the floor and ended up having a full-blown panic attack, and crying.

She sat down afterwards and explained to the manager that she has an anxiety disorder and about the techniques that her therapist suggested she use, including taking a few minutes away from everything to use deep breathing and self-dialogue to stave off a full-blown attack. The manager responded by saying “Well, maybe people like you shouldn’t work here.” Daughter felt very humiliated and feared for her job.

Next shift, when she went to work, several co-workers pulled her aside and told her that after she left her shift the prior day, the manager stood out on the floor telling a group of workers about how Daughter cried and had a “melt-down”, and laughed about it. The coworker said the manager called her “crybaby” and the other coworkers laughed. Daughter was humiliated and embarrassed.

Few days later, the schedule was posted and Daughter was given only 23 hours. Daughter had been given 37 – 40 hours per week the entire 7 months she has worked. Daughter approached manager who claimed it was an error and gave her just 5 more hours. Next schedule, same thing happened. Manager also took her off 1st shift, and put her back on 3rd shift.

Daughter talked to regional and district managers, but they are very lazy about everything anyway, and didn’t seem to care.

Daughter became very anxious about going to work. Said she felt coworkers were laughing at her and that the manager hated her. After doing so well for 7 months, her anxiety regarding working went right back to square one.

She put in her two weeks’ notice. A few days later, she decided to talk to HR, to see if they could do something to ensure this would not happen again, so she could continue working there instead of quitting. HR rep told her to put her issues in writing and email them to her, and she would meet with her the following Monday. Daughter emailed the information, but the HR rep didn’t contact her about meeting. Daughter called and texted HR rep repeatedly over the next two weeks, but HR rep would not respond.

The two weeks notice period came and went with no response from HR, and daughter no longer worked there.

Daughter was employed under an arbitration agreement. Is there any chance she could recoup lost wages by filing a claim under the AA?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did your daughter, at ANY time, self-identify as disabled and ask for an accommodation?

Islandgirl17

No....

Did your daughter, at ANY time, self-identify as disabled and ask for an accommodation?
No.

She understands that without knowledge of her issues, the manager had no way of knowing that the accommodation she was asking for was due to a disability. Because of this, she doesn't think the manager did anything wrong when refusing to allow her to leave the floor for a few minutes.

The problem is the remarks the manager made after being told about her disability, and the manager making fun of her disability with other employees and calling her a "crybaby". Also, the reduction in her hours after being told of her disability.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is unprofessional of the manager but does not provide your daughter with any legal recourse.

Islandgirl17

If that was the case...

It appears they tried to accommodate by reducing her hours and thus interaction with customers and management.
If that was the case, the manager would/should have talked with her about a reduction in her hours. But they did not. And in fact, when she voiced concerns about the sudden reduction in her hours, they lied and claimed it was a computer error. And then turned around and did it again.

Accommodation for someone with a disability does not entail cutting their earning ability by half without talking to them about why they are doing so, and then lying about it when asked about it.

It does sound like retaliation because she told the manager she didn't appreciate her making fun of her with her fellow coworkers.

Islandgirl17

Wow

That is unprofessional of the manager but does not provide your daughter with any legal recourse.
So managers can legally make fun of someone's disability to an audience comprised of the disabled employee's co-workers?!

And the manager can legally reduce the disabled employee's earning ability by half -without reason, after the disabled worker tells the manager she didn't appreciate the manager's incident of mocking her?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please feel free to have your adult daughter deal with her own legal matters.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please tell me what law you believe exists that makes it illegal to be a jerk.

No one is defending the manager's behavior. If he worked for me I'd fire someone who behaved that way.

Still doesn't make it illegal.

xylene

Restaurants and especially chain restaurants can be grueling workplaces, filled with demanding personalities - supervisors, co-workers, and customers.

This is a blessing in disguise and I hope your daughter finds an office job where things like a quick cry break in the bathroom every once in a while is no big deal.

LdiJ

Restaurants and especially chain restaurants can be grueling workplaces, filled with demanding personalities - supervisors, co-workers, and customers.

This is a blessing in disguise and I hope your daughter finds an office job where things like a quick cry break in the bathroom every once in a while is no big deal.
I truly agree with this. A restaurant is the last place that your daughter should be working. Its a far too stressful environment.

However, I will share a tidbit from my past. My first job, at 16 was in a restaurant. One day a customer got very verbally abusive with me. I was very "deer in the headlights" and close to crying. A second customer demanded to talk to the manager immediately and I held it together enough to go get him but I was convinced that I was going to be fired. The second customer seriously chastised my manager for not protecting his employees from verbally abusive customers...told him that he should be out on the floor paying attention and not hiding in the office. The manager told me to go in the back and sit down for a few minutes, and then later apologized to me for not being present to deal with the abusive customer.

Nevertheless...whether you are a teenage first time employee or a 25 year old employee with undisclosed mental disabilities a restaurant is highly stressful and it may not be a good fit.

Islandgirl17

Please tell me what law you believe exists that makes it illegal to be a jerk.

No one is defending the manager's behavior. If he worked for me I'd fire someone who behaved that way.

Still doesn't make it illegal.
Federal Discrimination laws state that:

- A disabled employee has the right to work in an environment free from harassment based on their disability.
- A disabled employee has the right to not be retaliated against for complaining about that harassment.
- A disabled employee has the right to not have their medical condition discussed with other employees.

Islandgirl17

I truly agree with this. A restaurant is the last place that your daughter should be working. Its a far too stressful environment.

Nevertheless...whether you are a teenage first time employee or a 25 year old employee with undisclosed mental disabilities a restaurant is highly stressful and it may not be a good fit.
Unfortunately, she has been unable to hold down a job until this year. Because of her lack of experience at her age, these types of places are the only ones that have shown any interest in her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">