• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inappropriate Restroom Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

So, you all actually find it credible that an adult, a supervisor no less, in a 21st century coed workplace has simply lapsed on a social mores that is drummed into the pre-K set....

Happening rarely is perhaps a bumbling oversight or a faulty latch.

Consistently exposing oneself to others while urinating is a disgusting paraphilia.
We never said he was doing it by accident.

OP never said he was exposing himself.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Consistently exposing oneself to others while urinating is a disgusting paraphilia.
Have you ever been in a men's room with urinals that are side by side? How is that any different? I doubt the boss is waving himself around like a pool noodle :rolleyes:

xylene

We never said he was doing it by accident.

OP never said he was exposing himself.
The op says 'direct view'... does she need to tell use if he's circumsized or not or something?

If he's not doing by accident than he is doing it with intent. Intentionally exposing yourself while urinating is sexual harassment.

Zigner

The op says 'direct view'... does she need to tell use if he's circumsized or not or something?

If he's not doing by accident than he is doing it with intent. Intentionally exposing yourself while urinating is sexual harassment.
I take that to mean that she has "direct view" of the man's back as he urinates. I do agree that intentionally exposing oneself is sexual harassment, but I don't agree that the OP intended to convey that.

Perhaps the OP can clarify this...?

xylene

Have you ever been in a men's room with urinals that are side by side? How is that any different? I doubt the boss is waving himself around like a pool noodle :rolleyes:
What is that the 'pecker checker' defense?

"Ever caught a glimpse of a man's penis in a restroom? Well you can see the boss is innocently treating the world as his men's room."

HC1432

What is that the 'pecker checker' defense?

"Ever caught a glimpse of a man's penis in a restroom? Well you can see the boss is innocently treating the world as his men's room."
Xylene - I suspect you made an assumption that the male boss exposed himself to the OP and post-realization that the original post did not contain specific comments pointing in that direction, you are grasping at straws.

As someone who has used a men's bathroom appropriately, I find it more much more unlikely than likely that there was a visible exposure. OP can clarify what was in "direct view" - but certainly, as it stands now with the information at hand, you jumped the gun with your claim that this is "blatant sexual harassment".

xylene

Xylene - I suspect you made an assumption that the male boss exposed himself to the OP and post-realization that the original post did not contain specific comments pointing in that direction, you are grasping at straws.

As someone who has used a men's bathroom appropriately, I find it more much more unlikely than likely that there was a visible exposure. OP can clarify what was in "direct view" - but certainly, as it stands now with the information at hand, you jumped the gun with your claim that this is "blatant sexual harassment".
I assumed direct view of penis.

Everyone else assumed direct view man's back

Not sure why my assumption is less valid... the logic of 'used a men's bathroom appropriately' flies out the window for someone who doesn't close the door, something a 3 or 4 year old knows to do consistently.

What exactly is your theory why a boss would do this then, mine is he is a pervy sex harasser.

Zigner

What exactly is your theory why a boss would do this then, mine is he is a pervy sex harasser.
Ok, I wasn't going to go here, but I will in response:

I'm not a sports guy - I played baseball (poorly) in little league and high school. My boss, on the other hand, played football his whole time in school. He had a college football scholarship and he was actually drafted in to the NFL, but didn't get to play due to a career ending injury. He's a jock, no other way to say it. It's rare that he actually pulls the stall door closed when urinating...it's just the way he "grew up". I get it. When I see it, I basically think "oops, I'd better not look that way", not "oh, he's a perv".

We don't know why the OP's boss is doing this, but I don't think it's fair to automatically assume there is some nefarious intent.

HC1432

I assumed direct view of penis.

Everyone else assumed direct view man's back

Not sure why my assumption is less valid... the logic of 'used a men's bathroom appropriately' flies out the window for someone who doesn't close the door, something a 3 or 4 year old knows to do consistently.

I believe (and I suspect many here will agree) that we are not here to provide "theories". We are here to read and interpret the information given and decide whether there is enough to suggest that there is a legal issue and what the legal options for addressing that issue might be. The OP in no way has given enough information to suggest there is a legal issue here. Further, having a theory about what occurred but then providing an assessment and advice that sound final and assured ("blatant sexual harassment" and "you should contact an attorney") seems like jumping the gun to me.

Zigner

I believe (and I suspect many here will agree) that we are not here to provide "theories". We are here to read and interpret the information given and decide whether there is enough to suggest that there is a legal issue and what the legal options for addressing that issue might be. The OP in no way has given enough information to suggest there is a legal issue here. Further, having a theory about what occurred but then providing an assessment and advice that sound final and assured ("blatant sexual harassment" and "you should contact an attorney") seems like jumping the gun to me.
I agree, more or less, with this, except that everyone did their own bit of "interpreting" - I understand that Xylene's assumption was just as valid as mine (and others'). The OP was vague, plain and simple.

justalayman

Intent is not required.

eerelations

Intent is not required.
Whether intent or no intent, if the employee asks that the behaviour stop and it stops, then there is no case for harassment.

As has been said repeatedly, we really need to know from OP if she asked her boss to close the door, and if she did, what happened.

justalayman

Whether intent or no intent, if the employee asks that the behaviour stop and it stops, then there is no case for harassment.

As has been said repeatedly, we really need to know from OP if she asked her boss to close the door, and if she did, what happened.
Not disagreeing but there seemed to be an intent required/no intent required discussion. I was simply stating my belief on the subject.

HC1432

I agree, more or less, with this, except that everyone did their own bit of "interpreting" - I understand that Xylene's assumption was just as valid as mine (and others'). The OP was vague, plain and simple.
Duly noted and completely agree.

I would argue that the difference is that you, myself, and others did not come to and state a conclusion that this is sexual harassment and that the OP should be advised to contact a lawyer at their expense based on those "assumptions". Especially considering that many people who come to this site tend to only listen to what they want to hear...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">