• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inappropriate Restroom Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Watckey

I am a female, my boss is a male. We have a shared bathroom between our offices and 1 in the warehouse. He goes to the restroom with the door wide open. The warehouse bathroom is in direct view when walking back to the offices. So is he aloud to do that? I feel very disturbed and concerned that I have to be cautious when walking around.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you asked him to please close the door when he uses the restroom, what did he say?

HC1432

Agree with Zigner...

If nothing has been discussed with the male boss (which the OP has not confirmed yet) then there is currently no reason to believe, with the information given, that he is doing this to intentionally make his coworkers uncomfortable. There is nothing, so far, to suggest that he would not begin shutting the door if he were informed that it is making staff uncomfortable. All that would be accomplished by contacting a lawyer with the intention of claiming sexual harassment would be a huge legal hassle, a lot more discomfort/resentment/awkwardness etc in the workplace, and potentially some unnecessary negative financial and operational impact to all involved. Even with all that said, there is no guarantee that this will be considered illegal sexual harassment and if it is not, then there is also no guarantee that the employer/owner will do anything about it themselves. It also may put a target on the OP's back in the future.

Informal, professional measures should be exhausted first.

eerelations

This is blatant sexual harassment. You should contact a lawyer.
Not necessarily. If OP contacts a lawyer, the first thing the lawyer is going to ask is "What did your boss say when you asked him to close the door?" If OP hasn't asked, OP will be advised by the lawyer to ask. And if OP's boss then starts closing the door, OP will have wasted her money.

And if OP has asked her boss to close the door, and her boss has refused, I don't think contacting a lawyer is OP's wisest next step. It would be much more financially prudent of her to contact the EEOC instead.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Agree with Zigner...

If nothing has been discussed with the male boss (which the OP has not confirmed yet) then there is currently no reason to believe, with the information given, that he is doing this to intentionally make his coworkers uncomfortable. There is nothing, so far, to suggest that he would not begin shutting the door if he were informed that it is making staff uncomfortable. All that would be accomplished by contacting a lawyer with the intention of claiming sexual harassment would be a huge legal hassle, a lot more discomfort/resentment/awkwardness etc in the workplace, and potentially some unnecessary negative financial and operational impact to all involved. Even with all that said, there is no guarantee that this will be considered illegal sexual harassment and if it is not, then there is also no guarantee that the employer/owner will do anything about it themselves. It also may put a target on the OP's back in the future.

Informal, professional measures should be exhausted first.
I'm not sure that intent is actually required...

HC1432

I'm not sure that intent is actually required...
Right. That statement regarding his intent is coming less from a legal angle and more from a general advice stand point that the OP should not read too much into why the behavior is occurring or assume that the boss is trying to make people uncomfortable on purpose (unless there is information we do not have to consider that would suggest that he wants to or does not care if he makes people uncomfortable with the behavior, such as refusing to shut the door when asked).

Legal issues aside, if what the OP, or other coworkers want to accomplish is the behavior stopping, there is nothing to suggest that it won't. No reason to create a vendetta or to rock the boat if there are easier ways to correct the situation.

xylene

So, you all actually find it credible that an adult, a supervisor no less, in a 21st century coed workplace has simply lapsed on a social mores that is drummed into the pre-K set....

Happening rarely is perhaps a bumbling oversight or a faulty latch.

Consistently exposing oneself to others while urinating is a disgusting paraphilia.

Proserpina

So, you all actually find it credible that an adult, a supervisor no less, in a 21st century coed workplace has simply lapsed on a social mores that is drummed into the pre-K set....

Consistently exposing oneself to others while urinating is a disgusting paraphilia.
Are you having a particularly trying afternoon, xylene?

HC1432

Did the OP specifically say that he was exposing himself to staff? Would probably need more information about the layout of the restroom in relation to the door and urinals. I don't believe the OP even stated that it was a urinal that was being used?

Silverplum

Did the OP specifically say that he was exposing himself to staff? Would probably need more information about the layout of the restroom in relation to the door and urinals. I don't believe the OP even stated that it was a urinal that was being used?
Your first question indicates you need to re-read the first post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">