• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internal transfer discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James3393

State: California

I was hired into a software engineering role as a company employee internal transfer so I did not go through the normal hiring interview process that we have for our Engineering Department which has very strict guidelines for acceptance. Now nine months later I have been told because I don't meet their hiring requirements I am unable to receive a wage increase or promotion. They told me it might be years before I'll be at the acceptable performance/experience level they expect. I work on the exact same projects as do other engineers who regularly get raises and promotions, starting salary for any software engineer at my company is 20k higher than my salary. I have received 100% positive performance reviews from my managers and only in the last week when I formally filed an HR complaint did they change their review of my performance to indicate I'm unqualified due to poor performance and experience. I apologize if this is a no brainer, but I could not find any examples online that were similar to mine. I don't know if this amounts to discrimination, but I would appreciate knowing one way or another.

Thanks.

Proserpina

State: California

I was hired into a software engineering role as a company employee internal transfer so I did not go through the normal hiring interview process that we have for our Engineering Department which has very strict guidelines for acceptance. Now nine months later I have been told because I don't meet their hiring requirements I am unable to receive a wage increase or promotion. They told me it might be years before I'll be at the acceptable performance/experience level they expect. I work on the exact same projects as do other engineers who regularly get raises and promotions, starting salary for any software engineer at my company is 20k higher than my salary. I have received 100% positive performance reviews from my managers and only in the last week when I formally filed an HR complaint did they change their review of my performance to indicate I'm unqualified due to poor performance and experience. I apologize if this is a no brainer, but I could not find any examples online that were similar to mine. I don't know if this amounts to discrimination, but I would appreciate knowing one way or another.

Thanks.
It might be discrimination, but it doesn't look like illegal discrimination.

(most forms are perfectly legal)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Confirmed. It is not, on the basis of your description, ILLEGAL discrimination.

justalayman

so, what are you lacking in meeting their hiring requirements? If schooling, is it possible to take whatever schooling is a requirement for an outside hire? Anything else that may be able to be gained somehow?

James3393

The requirement is ultimately Computer Science fundamentals which I would need to go back to college to aquire them reliably. I could also self teach by reading and studying but that process is very difficult(blind leading the blind). I appreciate the feedback, it seems like I drew a bad hand and have to deal with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">