• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intimidating and Unethical conduct NOT in sexual manner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Are there any labor laws in Indiana that protect employees from verbally abusive supervisors? The supervisor is a down right bully and uses his position to intimidate, verbally abuse and threaten employees with disciplines.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, nor in any other state either.

The problem is that what is "intimidating and unethical" or even what is "verbal abuse" is highly subjective and ranges from psychotic bullies to a normally agreeable individual who is pushed beyond the limit by an aggravating employee.

There are no laws in any state prohibiting an manager from being a jerk. If it's not related to harassment based on a characteristic protected by law, it's not illegal.

commentator

My suggestion is that you do your job as quietly and professionally as possible, while looking for another job. Because you always have the right to quit. And true, the bully, intimidator, verbal aggressor COULD fire you, but really if you don't cringe properly and act intimidated, so that their aggressive and ugly management style isn't working, they might give it up. Yes, anyone can yell, can threaten, can scream. But you're the adult. It is not required that you cower, act terrified, or respond to their threats, either violently or politely. Just say, "I dont appreciate your talking to me this way".

Let them do their worst. If they fire you, file at once for unemployment benefits. This will cost them money, and you will probably be approved if you are fired without your boss having a good reason to fire you. If someone hits you, call the authorities at once and press charges. Otherwise, its all blather. If you guys are intimidated, you keep your heads down and work hard to avoid being yelled at or bawled out, the management technique is working.

True, people do not like to be yelled at. But do not let it crush you or destroy your life. Youre an army of one, you must take care of yourself. Behaving professionally and moving on if someone is too big a jerk to be tolerated is the way to fight this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">