• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intimidation and fear on the job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

librarian

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

Our principal at the school I work with has scheduled a inservice day on a Saturday. We had two week notice about the inservice. We are not paid our pro-rated salary and it is not in our contract to work. We also do not receive comp. time. We receive a stipend of $70 for a seven hour day. I asked the principal if we were required to attend the inservice. She said no she could not require us to attend. The following day we were instructed through a memo to tell her if we would not be attending the Saturday inservice. I told her I would not be attending. She wanted to know why. I told her I had plans (which I do). She wanted to know what the plans were. I told her it wasn't anyones business what they were as it was not required to attend and not on my contract. She became very upset with me and told me I was rude to not attend when the people for the inservice were coming from many miles away. We were not asked as a staff about the Sat. inservice.

When I told my co-workers, who also do not want to attend on a Saturday, that we are not required to be there. They all fear retribution and retaliation from this principal, ie: layoffs, bad evaluation, additional work required of those not attenting. I feel this has created a "hostile work environment". I also fear these things but feel that I needed to take a stand concerning unpaid days on our contract. I should also tell you that this will be the 7th day we have had an inservice outside of our contract. Those days were also paid at $70 per day. and may of them ended up to be 10 hour days.

Beth3

Once again, this does not REMOTELY constitute a hostile work environment. Just because something takes place in the workplace that you don't like doesn't mean it's a hostile work place. You're a librarian - I strongly suggest you do a little research on that term and find out what it actually means under the law.

If you have a contact violation issue, then take it up with your union representation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">