• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Abandonment or Fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nohr4u1yr

written warnings

When an employee is placed on a warning they receive a copy of this - have you actually seen the disciplinary action form or just what your son and his friends have said? Have you seen his prior warnings? Was he written up for this before? The reason he was written up doesn't sound like something he should get all fired up about. But if he is violating company policy - it is what it is - and it needs to be brought to his attention. That is what manager's do - otherwise their butt is on the line. He may feel like he is being picked on but if he is not following procedures it is HIS fault.

You also have to remember that he was in his manager's office and she was providing him with a warning - if he flew off the handle - stormed out of the store "to vent" that is also considered insubordination. It's ok for him to get angry but he needs to control it.

kimber5765

Reasons

I have in fact seen the written warnings. I've talked to his friends at work, yes---but others as well that are just fellow employees. They all have said the same thing---she is singling him out. She doesn't like him & is trying to get him so mad he'll quit. This is not just a once in a while thing---it happens at least once a week. I can understand why he'd be upset if he wasn't doing anything to warrent a valid reason to be written up. This is just blantant harrassement.
She has never once taken him to the office either---she does all her write ups & whatnot out in front of customers & employees to see. Again to belittle him. He never said a word to her---he was upset, and rather then make a scene by saying or doing something foolish--he went to cool off. I dont see how that is job abandoment at all.
The union will be filing a grevience this week against her. My son has also contacted Corp office to file harrassment against her. We also just received a call from one of the other cashiers that a written petition has been started at the store on my son's behalf as well.

Katy W.

Complain!

"Katy, any employer who doesn't understand that occasionally someone is going to be fired for something that wasn't their fault, wasn't fair, wasn't an overreaction on the part of the previous employer or something else on that order, isn't an employer I'd want to work for."

Good point, and its nice to hear an HR person saying this!

"She has never once taken him to the office either---she does all her write ups & whatnot out in front of customers & employees to see."

Well here's another idea. Where we live the stores are all excited about customer service. You know, the customer is always right, etc. But, every employee (especially the young ones) has a family and friends who are customers. When the management treats a neighborhood kid badly, it affects the customers, especially if they have to witness it. These customers could file complaints with the store's district office, and tell them that they have witnessed the manager being rude to the employees, embarrassing the employees, etc. Anyone in the neighborhood can do this. You probably should not do this, because they could match your name up with your son's and then discount the complaints.

One statement that stuck out in your posts was as follows:

"The manager should have written him up for the cart thing 2 weeks ago when it happened---not last night, then refuse to explain her reasoning ."

If your son was as upset as you expressed, then I am sure he did not pose the question of her reasoning in a rational manner. I myself as a manager do not feel obligated to explain my reasoning to any of my employees. (Unless of course I feel the employee honestly did not understand what they did wrong, such as a new employee) I do however have to explain my actions to my superiors. Your son did know what he did wrong.

I am sorry but walking off of a job and not being there to perform his duties, constitutes a voluntary quit. After all...How was the employer supposed to know that your son was going to return? As far as the employer knew..he stormed out of the store...

If indeed this issue did violate Union rules...Then that may be an avenue that you may want to explore.

On a personal note...I understand where you are coming from. I have 2 sons. They are still very young...and I am still very biased as to my feelings that "My child did nothing wrong"....even when my child is very much in the wrong.

Children often tell parents versions of events that favor them. They can also convince friends to tell the same story. One thing I have learned as being a parent, is never to underestimate your child’s cunningness. Just as you have learned to tell certain things about them....They will always find the way around you! Like how to push your buttons, and how to suck up real well.

Now having said that, I suggest you take Katy W's advice and "There is no legal basis for anything, and you have already tried to talk with them so that won't work. Your son will have to write this off as 'their loss' and look for another job."

I also suggest enjay's advice.."Your son is an adult...let him handle this. No one is going to think very highly of him when his mother is fighting his battles."

Beth3

kimber, your son's supervisor has not done anythign illegal. She may be hell on wheels and a terrible boss but that's not against the law. The kind of "harassment" you describe is not illegal.

Personally, I'd suggest you quit talking to his co-workers about the situation and otherwise stirring things up. The petition sounds like a bad idea as well. Why you ask? Because that stuff is just going to further entrench the situation and give management no graceful way to admit a mistake was made and rectify the situation, if they're so inclined. They'd be much more likely to rectify things if it could be handled quietly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">