• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On the job retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PVjimmy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I currently live and work in Colorado. I think that some will find this story a bit amusing. I recently attended a mandatory training session at the mine that I work for. The training was presented by our H.R. department and the subject was workplace harassment, sexual harassment, and retaliation. It was the same program that we used to complete online once a year. The topics also include ethics. The presentation was the same old boring information that most older experienced worker had seen many times. The videos were the same old stuff as always. These courses are clearly presented as a measure to attempt to limit the employers liabilities and move to the harassers and harassed. They went quite a bit into retaliation and the laws regarding this. At the end of the program they handed out evaluation forms requesting that we inform them what we thought about the presentation. They encouraged all feedback stating that they would like to be able to improve the material. I filled out the form and informed them that the audio system was so poor that most were unable to hear the presentation. I also stated that the information presented was nothing new to any of us. Same old stuff different day.

As a result of giving them negative feedback they retaliated by reprimanding me and stating that my attitude will eliminate future promotions or job opportunities for me. I find it both ludicrous and ironic that workplace retaliation was the part of the subject matter and is actually completely ignored by the very H.R. department that taught the class. Who do you report this kind of abuse to when it is the H.R. department that is perpetrating the hoax. Their common way of getting rid of people is the so called zero tolerance safety rules> These rules are only zero tolerance for the ones they want to get rid of, all others are simply not seen. This place routinely bullies people, states that they have a culture by design that is open for all communications and want to Continuously improve and provide a team work environment in which we all support each other, The truth is that they only want to hear how wonderful they are, no matter what. Beside the obvious hypocrisy I fully doubt that there is any recourse on my behalf. My resume is out there again, I will likely move on soon

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I currently live and work in Colorado. I think that some will find this story a bit amusing. I recently attended a mandatory training session at the mine that I work for. The training was presented by our H.R. department and the subject was workplace harassment, sexual harassment, and retaliation. It was the same program that we used to complete online once a year. The topics also include ethics. The presentation was the same old boring information that most older experienced worker had seen many times. The videos were the same old stuff as always. These courses are clearly presented as a measure to attempt to limit the employers liabilities and move to the harassers and harassed. They went quite a bit into retaliation and the laws regarding this. At the end of the program they handed out evaluation forms requesting that we inform them what we thought about the presentation. They encouraged all feedback stating that they would like to be able to improve the material. I filled out the form and informed them that the audio system was so poor that most were unable to hear the presentation. I also stated that the information presented was nothing new to any of us. Same old stuff different day.

As a result of giving them negative feedback they retaliated by reprimanding me and stating that my attitude will eliminate future promotions or job opportunities for me. I find it both ludicrous and ironic that workplace retaliation was the part of the subject matter and is actually completely ignored by the very H.R. department that taught the class. Who do you report this kind of abuse to when it is the H.R. department that is perpetrating the hoax. Their common way of getting rid of people is the so called zero tolerance safety rules> These rules are only zero tolerance for the ones they want to get rid of, all others are simply not seen. This place routinely bullies people, states that they have a culture by design that is open for all communications and want to Continuously improve and provide a team work environment in which we all support each other, The truth is that they only want to hear how wonderful they are, no matter what. Beside the obvious hypocrisy I fully doubt that there is any recourse on my behalf. My resume is out there again, I will likely move on soon
Did you have a legal question?

eerelations

You obviously slept through/couldn't understand the sections of the training on retaliation (and maybe that's why they keep putting you through the training - in the increasingly vain hope that you'll eventually "get it").

As you have been advised in the training (repeatedly it seems), workplace retaliation is only illegal if it's a result of someone reporting illegal activity. Last I heard, poor audio systems and repeated training sessions are most definitely not illegal. Ergo, it is perfectly legal for your employer to retaliate against you for reporting these things. Period.

Last edited:

swalsh411

In most organizations HR does not make decisions about who to promote. If you are a good employee, your boss will want to promote you. I wouldn't worry too much that you pissed off HR, most of whom have probably spent a day in a mine.

PVjimmy

Yes I understand the legality of protection from retaliation only if you are being punished for reporting an illegal activity. I just find it ironic that they encourage input from all employees and make it clear that all input is welcome regardless if positive or negative. Their own written policies state that this kind of response is unacceptable. It is just odd finding a place that spends so much time preaching one policy and doing otherwise. No legal question. I just find it amusing that this place spends so much money trying to build cooperation, just to be the major cause of undermining trust and cooperation amongst employees.

OHRoadwarrior

Hence the reason they do not feel you are qualified for further promotion. A normal person would have seen the trap coming from a mile away.

eerelations

Yes I understand the legality of protection from retaliation only if you are being punished for reporting an illegal activity.
Sorry, don't buy that. :rolleyes:

If you really understood the laws around illegal relation, you wouldn't have said

"As a result of giving them negative feedback they retaliated..."

and

"I find it both ludicrous and ironic that workplace retaliation was the part of the subject matter and is actually completely ignored by the very H.R. department that taught the class..."

and

"Who do you report this kind of abuse to..."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">