• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Title not matching description/responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psebastian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

About 7 months ago, I was told that my position would change to a management position (manager/director). 4 months ago, I am listed on an organizational chart as a manager that has been distributed.
My responsibilities in this 7 months have changed significantly into the management role, but my title nor pay are matching it.

what legal options do I have, if any?

Thanks

justalayman

Accept it or find another job.

Unless you have a contract specifying your job duties and pay, your duties and pay are whatever your employer determines them to be.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no requirement that you receive an increase in pay when you receive an increase in responsibilities.

OHRoadwarrior

The good news is you are getting a promotion. The bad new is, it is a responsibility and title promotion and does not entail a pay raise. Nothing illegal here.

Are you currently paid hourly? Is the management position you're taking supposed to be salaried?

Sometimes employers run into trouble when they promote people to management positions without switching employees to salary from hourly because of the overtime involved with managerial positions. If you're being paid hourly, make sure your employer knows that they have to pay you for overtime.

Also, have you tried talking to your boss about a raise? The addition of new job responsibilities is a good time to talk about a raise, especially if you've been performing those responsibilities well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm looking for ANY suggestion that the employer is not paying the poster appropriately. The poster's only complaint is that he thinks he should be given a change in title and pay since he got added responsibilities.

I can see it now:

"Don't forget, I'm a manager now and you're not paying me like a manager. If you're not going to pay me a salary you have to pay me overtime, so you'd better put me on salary right now - it's my right as a manager. Oh, and I deserve a raise."

Manager's next words: You're fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">