• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for a business use my name to find me on Facebook?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

retry4z

I went to a restaurant and wrote a negative review on Yelp, complaining about my server. That server used my name from the credit card I used during my visit to add me on Facebook. I don't know why he added me, since we are not on good terms and the server knows it. We don't even have mutual friends. I see it as threatening and harassment in a "I know where you live" kind of way, and it bothers me. Also, it is a breach of personal information.

Is this business practice of using a customer's personal information (name) for outside of business practices (friending me on Facebook) legal? Can the server get fired for this? Is there anything I can do other than tell the manager what happened?

CdwJava

I went to a restaurant and wrote a negative review on Yelp, complaining about my server. That server used my name from the credit card I used during my visit to add me on Facebook. I don't know why he added me, since we are not on good terms and the server knows it. We don't even have mutual friends. I see it as threatening and harassment in a "I know where you live" kind of way, and it bothers me. Also, it is a breach of personal information.

Is this business practice of using a customer's personal information (name) for outside of business practices (friending me on Facebook) legal? Can the server get fired for this? Is there anything I can do other than tell the manager what happened?
I'm not sure what you are saying the server did. I assume you are saying that the server has a Facebook account and tried to add you as a friend somehow? If so, then do not approve the Friend request. If you already approved it, you can un-friend him.

And, no, trying to add you as a Friend is NOT a "breach of personal information." Using the name you signed on your credit card is not, in and of itself, personal identifying information.

Or, are you saying that the person created a false Facebook profile for you?

justalayman

I'll put this here, again, for you since you deleted it when you were first presented with it:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is this business practice of using a customer's personal information (name) for outside of business practices (friending me on Facebook) legal? Of course it's legal. What do you think Facebook is FOR, if not for making connections between people? Recruiting departments use Facebook to look up potential candidates all the time.

Can the server get fired for this? In the sense that no law prohibits the employer from firing the server for this, yes. But I wouldn't expect it to happen.

Is there anything I can do other than tell the manager what happened? No.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

This indicates that you know him outside of the restaurant; if so, what are you complaining about?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">