• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Interview Question??????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smokey2012000

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was wondering if this interview question is a violation of ones employment rights:

"How did you finance your college diploma?"

I believe that this question is asked in order to give the interviewer a better understanding of the candidates work ethic (I.E. A person that paid their own way through college is a better worker the someone that had it financed by a benefactor).

My understanding is that the current descrimination laws only pertain to race, religion, sexual origin, age and disability. However, classism is not addressed.

Is a company allowed to use this method of questioning as a means of "screening" candidates?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't for the life of me figure out what possible business related reason this question could support, but I'm not aware of any law forbidding a prospective employer from asking it, AS LONG AS it is asked of each and every applicant for the position.

Beth3

The only prohibited questions are those that fall under the auspices of the ADA. An emloyer may not specifically ask if a candidate has any impairments or disabilities.

Sure, they can use the answer to that question in helping to determine whether this is someone they want to employ. I'm wouldn't classify it as "classism" though. I've interviewed a few recent college grads who literally hadn't worked a day in their lives so far. No part-time jobs in high school, no summer jobs during their college years, nada, nothing, zip. Mom and dad financed their entire first 23 years of life. Yes, you have to wonder what kind of work ethic those candidates have or even if they know what work is all about ("Yes, you need to show up at work on time. No, you can't call in sick just because you don't feel like working that day.")

I wouldn't call that classism - I'd call that an individual who has probably missed some important life lessons thus far. A 20-something year old with no track record of ANY employment is at a great disadvantage when they try to enter the job market.

I think you may be jumping to conclusions about the import of that question and how the answer may be used by an employer. Iwouldn't consider any of this "classism" (I know plenty of peole from priviledged backgrounds whose parents' wisely required them to work part time and get summer jobs) but in any event, "discriminating" against the rich is not illegal if that's the bottom line of what you are asking.

S

smokey2012000

Thank you for you comments...

I think that your points are well made, however, I am 8 years out of college and have PLENTY of work experience. I actually did finance some of my college (however, some is certainly not ALL of it). I thought this question was a private matter and really non of the employers business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">