• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Let go after short term disability ran out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buddy525

I got a promotion 2 manager at my job when I did not apply for it. I was on top of the world I couldn't believe I was offered the position and I jumped at the opportunity. However shortly into my new job I felt something was wrong. I walked into a department that was a disaster things were not filed 4/8 years and it was a financial firm. I began a project to clean up the department and I put a ridiculous amount of hours into this project and worked a lot of late nights. After a while I started to notice odd behaviors with two of the managers in The Firm. My direct manager was best friends with an employee that reported to me and after a year of hell with this employee we both realized that we were being pinned against each other for the other two managers enjoyment. As a result of not getting along with this employee neither one of us were given a raise. Often times I was humiliated by my direct manager in front of other employees. She stole my ideas and took credit for many things that I did. I wrote a letter of complaint to the HR department and 2 a regional manager and they investigated because I later found out there were numerous complaints about both managers. As a result the two managers were fired. I thought things would get better however they quickly got worse because the new manager they brought in was friends with the two that were fired and blamed me because of an audit being failed in my department. We failed the audit do to issues prior to me. He convinced everyone there that it was my fault. He made a lot of changes in the office that only had to do with me. He took away my office he did not include me in management meetings and basically I only existed in the office. I started to become very depressed and have anxiety issues when going to work so I went out on short term disability in fear of being fired next. My short-term disability ran out and my doctor wanted me out for an additional two months. Trying to get disability is a nightmare because I have to rely on doctors completing paperwork on time and everyone seems to be too busy to meet deadlines. I was almost fired three times while on short term disability because of MetLife being irresponsible and sending paperwork to the wrong dr. Bottom line is I didn't feel the need to apply for long term disability when it was just for two months. As a result my employer fired me or should I say they asked me not to come back and offered me $10,000 to be a good girl and not complain about the company. I have so many emails regarding the harassment myself and others had gotten in that company and the higher-ups begged me to stay and told me good things come to those who wait however it was a lie and I later realize they just needed me to stay to terminate the other two managers and then they started making my life miserable. My question is if I have a doctor's note stating I need to be out of work for 2 months after my short-term disability can they fire me? If they can fire me do I have a right to ask for more than $10,000? I suppose they didn't have to offer me anything but I feel that after working my butt off for that company for eight years $10,000 is nothing.

FlyingRon

Requiring waiver of claims and anti-disparagement provisions as a condition of severance is not illegal payment (and quite common).

You probably have screwed yourself by not avialing of the offered disability and leave issues. Just because the paperwork is allegedly difficult or involved doesn't mean you can just skip it.
Not protected by disability or other leave (such as FMLA), they are free to fire you. You are not strictly entitled to ANY severence. You can ask, but I can almost guarantee what the answer is going to be. They may even rescind the offer they've already made you.

The rest of your soap opera means little.

Apply for UI (though you may find that this is going to be problematic as well).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI neither STD nor LTD protects your job. ONLY FMLA protects your job. That is why I am looking for the time spent on STD - to see if FMLA, if applicable, has expired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">