• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liable for damage to company property on job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KPetersen

I was working as 'the computer guy' (Manager, M.I.S.) at a company in Los Angeles, California. They sent me to North Carolina on business. We rented a laptop computer to take with me. Upon return, the rental company says that there was damage to the computer and billed the company. The company asserts that I am personally responsible for the cost of repair and is "deferring" reimbursing me for other legitimate costs of this trip (meals, gas, etc.) for which I submitted receipts. I no longer work for this company.

1) Am I personally liable for the cost to repair this laptop rented by the company for this business trip?
2) Can they refuse to reimburse me for my expenses?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Kevin Petersen
[email protected]

A

Attorney_Replogle

No the company may not make the employee pay for the cost of doing business -- which is what has happened here. The only exception is if the employee intentionally destroyed or damaged the property. Which leads us to the other part, they therefore can't withhold reimbursing you for those expenses you incurred while traveling on duty for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">