• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss of Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asmallchild

New Jersey.

I have been a full-time employee for 13 yrs with a large retail distributor. I have been working the 8-4 shift, Monday thru Friday for past 6yrs. My superiors have never had a problem with my scheduling.

Recently i was approcahed by my general manager about changing my work days(weekend shifts). The reason for my weekday work schedule is because I am a mother of 3 and need to tend to my homelife.

I was told by my manager that if I did not comply to the new change in my days that i could face losing my benefits, even though i am still full-time with the company. After hesitation on my part to change to the new schedule, I was given this ultimatum, - "you can keep your 8-4 Mon-Fri, but you will lose your benifits"

(my benefits include: medical for family, 3wks pto, 401k, stock options, etc...)

I never recall signing a contract requiring me to work specific days, and could not find such a policy on the copmpanies website. Am I just being threatend, or can my benefits be taken away in such a manner, even though i am still full-time?

the companies moto -" quality of life comes first"
I feel they will be affecting my quality of life by forcing me to work days i never agreed to.

please help- thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, they cannot take away your benefits in this manner.

However, they CAN legally change your shift, regardless of the reason for you to be scheduled as you are and no matter how long they have approved it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">