• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lowering base pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DOW

What is the name of your state? Califronia

I had my base pay impacted here recently as a means of discipline. Can a corporation permanently reduce an employees hourly wages as a form of discipline?

I had profit sharing check taken away, no pay raise, and my pay position lowered on the payline by 5%.

Can this be done?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DOW said:
What is the name of your state? Califronia

I had my base pay impacted here recently as a means of discipline. Can a corporation permanently reduce an employees hourly wages as a form of discipline?

I had profit sharing check taken away, no pay raise, and my pay position lowered on the payline by 5%.

Can this be done?

My response:

It sure can, and they can sure do it to you!

Wow, you must have REALLY pissed someone off! Sounds to me like you made the "pity list", instead of being fired.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It never ceases to amaze me how many people assume that they are automatically entitled to pay raises, but that it must be illegal to reduce pay.

As long as it's a permanent reduction and you were told about it in advance, yes, it's legal.

What they (probably - it would depend on the exact way they went about it) could not do is dock your pay on a one-time basis as a disciplinary measure.

Last edited:
D

DOW

I do not always expect that I should have a raise, in fact we just experienced two years without one. I can not understand what has happened to me though, other than I speak my mind and the new HR leader does not like it.

In this circumstance I lost money due to supposedly verbally abusing a coworker (I told him he was chickensh*t). Although my supervisor admits that this coworker has no credibility. Then my supervisor write a letter to be placed in my file, and then the HR leader added to my letter that I should not slander or speak derogatory jokes and comments...? I asked why this was placed in my letter, but my supervisor say's he does not know and the HR leader will not tell me or my supervisor why she wrote this in my letter. She refuses to remove it or explain it other than to say my alternative is to leave it alone or lose my job.

My take on it is I am being punished because I do speak my mind about pay practices, and site safety. My sites managers are rolling the dice every day by not having the proper emergency response personnel or training. Everything they do is based on the bottom line, not the well being of it's employees or surrounding community.

I guess I was on the pity list. It just does not seem right or fair that a non union at will employee does not have any rights when it comes to disciplinary actions.

R

Ramoth

I'm sorry, but calling someone "Chickensh*t" at work is verbal abuse regardless of whether or not the guy has credibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">