• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lunch breaks and breaks

• Thread starter CAROL HENDRICKS
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CAROL HENDRICKS

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? I WORK IN W.VA. BUT LIVE IN OHIO
THE OTHER DAY I AND TWO OTHER EMPLOYEES WERE IN DISCUSSION ABOUT AN ISSUE THAT HAD AROSE AT MY WORK PLACE, THE ASSISTANT MANAGER INFORMED ME THAT THE LABOR LAWS HAD CHANGED TO PROVIDE LUNCH BREAKS AND BREAKS TO EMPLOYEES.
SHE SAID THAT SOME COMPANYS WERE NOW WORKING EMPLOYEES 40 HOURS WITH NO LUNCH BREAKS OR BREAKS THAT EVEN OUR COMPANY DID NOT HAVE TO GIVE US OUR LUNCH BREAKS OR BREAKS.
MY QUESTION IS HAS THE FEDERAL LAW ON LUNCH BREAKS IN THE WORK PLACE CHANGED? I DO BELEIVE THAT IT DOES DEPEND ON HOW MANY HOURS YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO WORK.
I WORK A 37 AND 1 HALF HOUR WEEK THEY DO PROVIDE A 30 MIN. LUNCH BREAK AND A 10 MIN. BREAK PER DAY.
IS SHE RIGHT ABOUT THE LAW CHANGING? SO CORPORATIONS OR SMALL COMPANIES DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE ANY KIND OF BREAKS?
I THOUGHT THE LAW WAS THAT IF YOU WORKED ANYWHERE FROM 35 TO 40 HOURS A WEEEK YOU WERE TO BE PROVIDED WITH A LUNCH BREAK AND A MINIMUN 10 MIN. BREAK.
WOULD YOU PLEASE E-MAIL ME THE INFO I AM VERY CONFUSSED ABOUT THIS.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME .
SINCERELY,
CAROL HENDRICKSON
ACTUALY THIS WAS NOT HE ISSUE THAT HAD COEM UP IN THE WORK PLACE IT WAS SOMETHING ELSE, AND WHY SHE GOT ONTO THIS SUBJECT I CAN'T REMEMBER. BUT I REALLY DO BELEIVE SHE IS WRONG ABOUT THIS LAW.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please don't type in all caps. It is very hard to read and is considered shouting on the Internet.

The Federal law has not changed. There is not now, nor has there ever been, a requirement for any employer of any size company to provide breaks of any kind.

The state of West Virginia requires a 20 minute meal break for non-exempt employees. The state of Ohio does not require any break at all.

Your belief that all full time employees are entitled to a 30 minute lunch break and a 10 minute rest break is mistaken. It may be company policy, but it is not law.

T

tone711

While I'm not a lawyer or play one on TV. :) I'm wondering why the FAQ page of this web site states the following about lunch breaks, if it is untrue:

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS ON TAKING LUNCH?
With the exception of the broadcasting and motion picture industries, the rule for meal periods is that no person may be employed for a work period of more than five hours without a meal period of not less than 30 minutes. However, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent if a work period of not more than six hours will complete the day's work. Unless the employee is completely relieved of duty, the meal period must be considered time worked. Also, if employees must eat on the premises, a suitable place for that purpose must be designated.

Are the rights on taking lunch different for each state ?

Beth3

There are no federal laws that require breaks of any kind for private sector employees age 18 or over. Any laws that exist would be at the State level. Some States address this; most don't.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The break law quoted in tone711's post is valid for the state of California only.

D

dumb1

lunch breaks

what rights do i have in the state of arizona for lunch breaks? i work more than 8 hours per day. i do not get a lunch break, in fact, i must cram my lunch down my throat while i am helping customers! i think that i am getting an ulcer. our store doesn't seem to have enough employees to give each other a break. is there anything that i can do besides quitting? it's really hard to find a job out here and i do like my job except for not getting a peaceful time out for lunch.:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state of Arizona does not require any breaks of any kind. Company policy only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">