• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manager allowing for open insubordination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LionsRoar

What is the name of your state? WA

The boss has had a history of not taking charge when employment issues happen. His management staff do not take him seriously and do what they wish. A recent situation which occured is that He specified a specific dress code that all, both staff and managment will abide by. The dress code as per the boss' statement went into effect the day it was given out to the employees. Two of the management team continued to wear what they wanted in direct opposition to the boss' statement. The boss did not discipline these two but allowed for their conduct. The claimant questioned the boss if he was still to adhere to the said dress code due to the actions of the two in management. The boss' response was "Yes, you are required to adhere to my dress code." However, the two in management continued to dress as they wished even after the boss' requirement was stated in an official staff meeting. I've been harassed and treated unfairly during employment by the two managers because the boss will not keep in check imbalances in power.

Now I've been fired for not deferring to a worker who is female, directly under one of the managers yet is less than part-time. However, in terms of seniority, I am older (40 and male), have worked at the company longer (6 1/2 years), was full-time, have more experience in the industry (20 years).

I'm totally bewildered by this company's action and wonder if I might have a legitimate suit.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------
Claimant worked for a private educational institution but worked for a branch of that institution. Claimant was employed at will.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what kind of a suit do you think you have? It's not quite clear what you are asking.

L

LionsRoar

Informed people who I've talked to feel that this could possibly be a discrimination suit or perhaps harassment? There are many other situations where I was harassed or intimidated all because the boss didn't reign in improper behavior and protocol.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You would only have a suit for either discrimination or harassment if you were being discriminated against/harassed BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disabilty, or because you are over 40. There might also be another reason or two protected by your state law, but I'm not in my office and can't access my sourcebook.

Poor management is not illegal.

Beth3

If the boss wants to allow two managers to dress how they please (or is too much of a wimp to address the situation) and requires others to comply with the dress code, that's entirely his perogative. It may not be fair but it's perfectly legal.

I don't see that any protected characteristics play a part here as the underlying reason is either: (1) the boss is a poor manager and/or (2) he is giving these two more latitude because of their position. Neither of those are illegal.

Your choices are to deal with it or look for a new job elsewhere.

L

LionsRoar

Thanks cbg and Beth for your input on this. The clincher to this situation is that the boss stated that ALL of the workers including all of his management staff, are to comply with his order. I agree that he's a horrible manager because he allows the management staff to dress as they like BUT the problem that I have is that in his direct order he INCLUDED the two managers yet they do not comply yet he does nothing about this and requires only me to comply not even the other staff.

Beth3

Okay - but that doesn't change a darn thing. Selective enforcement of company policy is not illegal.

Comply with the dress policy and forget about these two other managers. You're only going to drive yourself crazy fretting about the unfairness of something that you have absolutely no control over. If they want to show up to work looking like they dressed out of the rag pile, it has nothing to do with you.

"BUT the problem that I have is that in his direct order he INCLUDED the two managers yet they do not comply yet he does nothing about this and requires only me to comply not even the other staff." The mistake you're making is thinking this is YOUR problem. It's not. It's the boss's problem - and probably only the tip of the iceburg. Lousy managers end up with LOTS of problems on their hands. How people are dresssing will, at some point, be the least of the issues the guy has to deal with.

If the company is not well managed (and I'm talking about issues much bigger than who wears what to work), then you need to seriously think about getting out before the Titanic hits the iceberg.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">