• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

manager disclosed information she said would be confidnetial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackjess0928

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

I recently asked to speak to the manager of my department. I have been feeling nit picked since returning to work from being hospitalized and missing a few days. I went in just expressing I felt discriminated against not only on color but for missing time and every other little thing like I am clocking in and out just to go to the bathroom-however not everyone is made to clock in and out or they just do not do so- so therefore they are not reprimanded for extra bathroom breaks outside there 15min break for the day- because they aren't clocking in and out- and for this company to have such a tight leash they should know everyone is not doing the same thing and should also be reprimanded- I just advised the manager i wanted to talk and get a few things off my chest cause I was upset and could not focus and working for a collection agency is hard not to have your head in the game- anyway she said come lets step in the file room real quick I voiced my concerns and she said go take a minute smoke cig and come back. when I came back she stopped me said we are hiring this lady and she will be the person to go to for things like this in the future- I said hello and they said come in the office for a minute and just tell this new lady what I just told my managers manager. I went in again expressed my concern and the way I felt. I also said would like to tell you about a note I received but I don't want it to leave this room otherwise I will keep to myself cause I didn't want to expose someone for telling me to watch my back I like the lady and didn't really want it expose the notes but just give them a idea that not only I am feeling this way- they said of course everything we talk about right now is confidential and it will stay in that room they asked to see the notes I was hesitant and said please make sure this doesnt leave the room they said of course-they read the notes said can we keep them for your file and will you tell us who wrote them just so we can put in your file e wont disclose it so I gave them the name. They said they will look into the issue with my manager. after I went back to my desk feeling better I got it off my chest I noticed the lady that wrote the note was called in the office- I was just thinking must be something else they said this would remain confidential. The next day I said hi to her and she said I don talk to you no more I don't like what you did telling them about what I wrote to you I almost lost my job yesterday thanks.... I immediately felt betrayed upset and violated. I got up told my boss I was leaving went to the parking lot and cried. I called in to speak to the manager that i met with and when i went back in 15min later they were both there we went into the conference room- they said whats going on- I said you lied to me you said our meeting would be confidential and now I look like a fool to someone that was also concerned about her job. they both said well we didn't mention anything and if that's the case why did this lady tell me you did. and they said go home and well call you tomorrow I said am I fired they said no, just go home calm down and I will call you tomorrow. they called 2 days later and said come back Monday and well pretend none of this happened just be on time which I always am and be back from break on time and don't take any extra bathroom breaks. Im speechless at this point cause I cant just walk thru those doors and forget about this. I have to work with this lady an being the only white lady on the team they are all against me. I have bi-racial children so I am by no means raciest but they all are. I feel terrible and sick and mentally couldn't go in today. I just don't know what to do- and my fiancé works there I hope they don't retaliate on him, and I missed time I feel they should pay me for. I'm just very upset is there anything I can do?

justalayman

You can't do anything about the lack of confidentiality. For God's sake man, you work at a collection agency. You should know honesty is not a high priority. Results are what is important.

Anyway, a couple things you said do suggest some problem. Having to punch out for bathroom breaks is illegal if the break is less than 20 minutes. You also suggested it appears the requirement may be required of workers based on race; also illegal.

Care to expand on those issues? Have you addressed the issues with any management?

Oh, and thinking you should be paid for the time off: not a chance. It's real simple: you don't work they don't have to pay you AND they have a right to not allow you to work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please explain to me how you think the manager should be able to resolve your problem without talking to anyone about the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">