• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory Blood Draws for Benifits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana

My company just announced today that 2 months after our open enrollment is complete our company is bringing in a private company to do mandatory blood draws on all employees with benefits.

I asked if this was being done by our insurance company or if it was our company doing this. I was told it wasn't for the insurance company and was at company level. I was also told that if I refuse, they will cancel my insurance benefits.

I asked if I could have my primary physician do it (that way he would only provide what he felt they needed to know and nothing more) and they said no. They won't really tell me what they are looking for or what will be tested. However as the day went on they now claim its for the Insurance company but that is not what their emailed response to me was from earlier in the day.

To me this just doesn't sound right. There is a reason my insurance company (even being under the company group) is restricted from what they can tell my employer and I feel this is a back door technique to get as much medical info on employees as possible.

Isn't this a HIPPA, ADA and constitution violation?

ecmst12

None of the above. But ask to see the plan document that refers to this testing, what it's for, and whether it's truly mandatory.

Beth3

Isn't this a HIPPA, ADA and constitution violation?

Agreed. None of the above.

Sounds like your employer is doing a wellness assessment and has done a horrible job of explaining what's going on. The purpose of having an outside company do a wellness assessment is to catch diseases in the (hopefully) early stages (diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc.) so that the employee can be advised and address their health problems before they get serious. Individual medical information is kept confidential and not shared with the employer but they will receive an "overall profile" of the health of their insured employees.

This is what I'm assuming is going on. If it's something else, then I'm clueless as to what your employer is doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">