• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical conditon affecting work how to tell supervisor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jryan1960

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

medical condition sometimes causes problems, menaing I have an ileostomy and it leaks sometimes, I have not told my supervisor about this, I have to either go to bathroom and take care of this which can take from 1/2hr to 1hr or little more or leave go home take care of this and come back. Afraid if I tell supervisor about medical related problem I will be let go. People are noticing these times and have mentioned them to supervisor.

Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sounds as if you need to be talking to HR rather than your supervisor.

jryan1960

I would be talking with HR also, still begs the question will I possible lose my job do I have any protections to keep my job or I tell them whats going on can they fire me because they don't want to deal with this

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends on whether or not your condition is covered under the ADA, which is not something we can determine here. Even if it is covered, it also depends on whether allowing you up to an hour in the bathroom dealing with it is reasonable, or if there is another reasonable accommodation that will also work. We cannot determine that here either.

IF you condition proves to fall under the ADA AND there is a reasonable accommodation that can be found, then they cannot fire you for this.

IF your condition does NOT fall under the ADA OR if there is no reasonable accommodation that can be found, then they can.

mm84

I hope things work out for you.
If your work doesnt affected, I imagine your co-workers prefer you spending more time in the bathroom. You should definitely bring spare clothes and perfume.
Many many people take long bathroom breaks. I work in an IT company and I think 30% people take 20+ minutes , because they are on their phones in the bathroom lol.

Most people are good and HR will work with you if you approach her nicely and ask for help. Tell her how much you love the job and how committed you are, but you have a problem that can be worked around ... and sweeten the deal

FYI I am not a lawyer !

eerelations

I hope things work out for you.
If your work doesnt affected, I imagine your co-workers prefer you spending more time in the bathroom. You should definitely bring spare clothes and perfume.
Many many people take long bathroom breaks. I work in an IT company and I think 30% people take 20+ minutes , because they are on their phones in the bathroom lol.

Most people are good and HR will work with you if you approach her nicely and ask for help. Tell her how much you love the job and how committed you are, but you have a problem that can be worked around ... and sweeten the deal

FYI I am not a lawyer !
You sure aren't!

BTW, what do you mean by "sweeten the deal"? Are you suggesting OP try to bribe HR?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">